DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: Writing lyrics  (Read 3417 times)
nimrod
Resident Big Thinker
Forum Elder

« on: March 15, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »

What do you find the best way to write lyrics? I know that John Petrucci mentions having an original idea and then building up lots of other ideas around it but I don't really know much other than that about techniques for writing lyrics. When I write lyrics I tend to start with an overall idea and look at different aspects of that in different parts (pretty similar to JP's method) so my lyrics tend to be very themed, however I'm pretty new to it and I think I'd benefit from hearing how others approach it.

Fire away!

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »

this is EXACTLY the way I write my lab reports !!
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »

Only now she has to avoid words with the letter"c" in them!

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
nimrod
Resident Big Thinker
Forum Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »

Only now she has to avoid words with the letter"c" in them!

LOL. I challenge someone to write a song with no words that have the letter "c" in them. 

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »

hmmmm...I ponder and labor over this one myself everytime I sit down to bang away on my laptop for a new CD.
What I do know from experience is that you should always try to write the words in as natural  sounding fashion as possible. Like the way you would say it if you were just talking to someone. Rhyme,alliteration,metaphors,simile,hyperbole etc are all cute tricks to play with but I only do it if it sounds natural first.Then there's the all important "Trust your gut"
I firmly believe in "If you think,you stink" Which literally means don't try so hard .It's just like talking,only there needs to be a rhythm and meter for whatever the music is,plus the lyrics and music should reflect each other. Other than that it's easy.Get up and walk across the room and back again. Now do it again but this time think hard about each step before you take it.
Do you notice a difference?The first time probably looked natural but the second time probably looked funny and you might even not have enjoyed the walk as much. That's a big one for me.
It has to be fun!
Here's an example:
There once was a man from Nantucket.
Whose di.....oh you get the idea!
 Grin

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »

I'm not exactly a prolific songwriter, but whenever I do make an attempt at writing something, I always try to write the lyrics as stand-alone poetry.  If people ever heard my songs, I'd want them to be able to get something new out of the words every time they hear them.

So when I write lyrics, I tend to go for a kind of effect rather than telling a story.  This leaves the song more open to interpretation and thus easier for more people to relate personally to. 

Unfortunately, a big problem with that is that poetry is really friggin hard to write, so I haven't really written very many lyrics that I'm happy with.  Although I'd probably be more bummed about it if I could write music worth a darn.   Tongue

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 09:26:38 PM »

For me, the two things I've been really good at in life are Music and English. Music is music (self explanatory in this forum I think!) to me, and I am really excellent with a lot of English stuff, including poetry. IRONICALLY though, I couldn't write a song (lyrically) if I tried! I guess for me, I always have to hear the music behind the lyrics before I get the point behind it, or any emotion from reading it, maybe that's the music side of me being stubborn I don't know. I just find whenever I read the lyrics to a song I've never heard before, it always just sounds like rap to me, even if after you hear the song, you find that it is nowhere near anything "rap-ish".

But I think Charlie's got it right. When I write poetry (and don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those spacey headed weirdos that can't talk in anything but verse!) I always just let whatever it is naturally come out. This is always the best when something invokes it, like beautiful nature or something, or observing human behavior. There was one time that I wrote a poem that was quite short, but it was PACKED with all kinds of analytical juiciness, and short from being impressive upon analyzation, it lacked character and soul completely.

So I guess since songs are more to touch the heart than to touch the mind (though the ones that do both, like the O3 trilogy are always the best!) most of the time, letting it just "come out" is probably the best. Start with an idea, and just go with it, do what feels right and weave yourself a little masterpiece. And what does a masterpiece lack? Loose ends. Always remember to tie up your loose ends somewhere, but a little mystery at the end isn't bad either.
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 06:59:38 AM »

I admire you guys for being able to get something down and out in such an eloquent way. I never felt good or convinced about the originality of the stuff I'm writing.. I have so many stories in my head but as soon as they are out on the paper they don't look the way I felt them in my head. I way much more prefer talking to someone in person as I feel much more confortable if I can see someones expressions and thoughts immediately. Acutally, I find it quite an achievement of mine to have more than 100 posts on this forum. Grin (and dont forget my "c" problem  Undecided)
VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 07:23:26 AM »

I used to write lyrics when I was about 13-16... and a lot of poetry. TONS of poetry.

But then I started listening to different music, and discovered boys and parties and things and my life went a completely different direction for ... well almost twenty years.

Now when I write, it's not about rhyming or beats or number of lines or being purposefully creative.

I just call my writings "rambles" now because I just sit down, poor out what is in me, and leave it alone (aside from spelling issues). If I work to create a poem, I'll rewrite it and over analyze it and think about it too much. If I just let things go, they're beautiful. Well, in my opinion.

I don't think anyone else thinks so, who has seen them.

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 05:04:08 PM »

I just call my writings "rambles" now because I just sit down, poor out what is in me, and leave it alone (aside from spelling issues).

I actually wish I could do that.  I think I'm just too immediately analytical or something.  Whenever I'm writing anything (for example, this post), I'm kind of editing as I go.  Whenever I try to just let stuff go and just write, I can't stop myself from being like, "wait, that part sucks," and erasing it and doing it again.  Or sometimes I'll feel like I used the wrong word two sentences ago, and I have to go back and change it.

I took a creative writing class my senior year of high school.  It was a lot of fun, but every now and then we had to do a freewriting exercise.  We just had to write for ten minutes and not stop and not change anything.  I couldn't do it.  I had to have a purpose or a subject to write about, and I had to go back and fix stuff I wasn't happy with.

Which may mean that, in a sense, fixing stuff really is my version of "letting it go," since that's what seems more natural to me.   Tongue

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
reapsta
Forum Member

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »

I've tried writing lyrics a couple times, it's fucking hard. Writing lyrics that sound like real language while still having a lyrical quality is the key, and takes far more practice than I've put in to really figure out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: