DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: Gutteral vocals - do you like them?  (Read 15396 times)
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 04:58:30 PM »

Genuine question: why do you care AT ALL what other people may think of you listening to a certain genre of music Huh?

Because I have to live with them.  I need to get along with them, and playing death metal is not a good way to get along with people who don't enjoy or understand it.

Also because I'm not exactly self-sufficient and I often need a ride somewhere.  People where I live are far more likely to do a favor for me if the think I'm not worshipping Satan. Cheesy

Also I don't want people to worry about me.  I hate being worried about.  So since I tend to be very introverted and somewhat moody, playing death metal could send the message to well-meaning idiots that I'm about to go off the deep end or something.  The last thing I need is somebody knocking on my door and being all, "Listen, I've been worried about you lately.  Are you okay?"  Because quite honestly, mislead charity pisses me off and actually makes me less okay.

Whoa.  I didn't expect that to turn into a rant at all, but lookee, it sure did.

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
LudwigVan
Forum Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »

I guess it depends on the context because somehow, the music's got to make up for the constant mono-tone RORORO.  Otherwise it just gets to be a boring wall of sound.   Styles like Amorphis, Opeth, Dark Tranquility and Agalloch are just fine.
rorororo
Forum Member

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »

Genuine question: why do you care AT ALL what other people may think of you listening to a certain genre of music Huh?

Because I have to live with them.  I need to get along with them, and playing death metal is not a good way to get along with people who don't enjoy or understand it.

Also because I'm not exactly self-sufficient and I often need a ride somewhere.  People where I live are far more likely to do a favor for me if the think I'm not worshipping Satan. Cheesy

Also I don't want people to worry about me.  I hate being worried about.  So since I tend to be very introverted and somewhat moody, playing death metal could send the message to well-meaning idiots that I'm about to go off the deep end or something.  The last thing I need is somebody knocking on my door and being all, "Listen, I've been worried about you lately.  Are you okay?"  Because quite honestly, mislead charity pisses me off and actually makes me less okay.

Whoa.  I didn't expect that to turn into a rant at all, but lookee, it sure did.
I'm glad I don't know people like the ones you know then, because if someone I knew potentially stopped liking me because of the music I listen to, I'd imagine I'd be better off without them.

Also, you say it as if listening to death metal means that you have to force it down people's throats (that's what it sounds like, despite whether I'm right or wrong). I generally listen to death metal through my headphones, and not out loud, but that's only because I know my family and some of my friends don't like it, so I feel uncomfortable 'subjecting' them to it. But by no means have I ever stopped listening to music just because people around me don't like it.
    It seems you don't listen to it because you don't want people to think you're 'weird' or whatever else. I guess that's all to do with where/who you grow up with though.

Actually, I suppose you're just on a higher 'uncomfortable' level than I am. 
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 12:38:06 PM »

Actually, I suppose you're just on a higher 'uncomfortable' level than I am. 

That's what I'd prefer to call it, too.   Tongue

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Zook
Pronounced: "Zuke" DAMMIT! .... NICK!
Forum Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 08:38:43 PM »

I hate death growls. They ruin the music for me. I can't listen to Opeth because of this. I like stuff like Stone Sour (Corey Taylor doesn't sound like a whiney bitch like most mainstream bands), but when Cookie Monster makes a guest appearance in music, all is lost.

*Signature*
Zook
Pronounced: "Zuke" DAMMIT! .... NICK!
Forum Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »

I hate death growls. They ruin the music for me. I can't listen to Opeth because of this. I like stuff like Stone Sour (Corey Taylor doesn't sound like a whiney bitch like most mainstream bands), but when Cookie Monster makes a guest appearance in music, all is lost.

My opinion has changed a bit regarding this topic.

I can tolerate some Opeth songs, and I really like Into Eternity. I guess they just do it right for me.

Why am I resurrecting this? Because I just remembered this forum existed. Grin

Silence - My Headphones

*Signature*
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: