DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: Name one(/more if you have to) genre or subgenre of music you HATE! (and why)  (Read 9306 times)
faemir
Officially unworthy of a custom title
Forum Elder

« on: March 16, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »

nu metal
rap
hip-hop
trance
RnB

I like to think I'm an open-minded music person. If someone gives me a cd I'll give it a spin. I will /never/ not listen to it just because it's some genre I haven't heard of etc.

But these genres I've given enough ear to, so generally don't give them too much of a chance anymore. nu metal I find lame, uninspired musically and the people in the bands idiots. Rap - I just don't like the concept. I fully accept that rapping is very hard to do coughjameslabrietryingtodothisdyingsoulliveatbudokancough, but it's just not for me. Trance I just find rather pointless and odd, generally making me feel odd, and hip-hop / RnB I've heard enough from the people on the bus behind me to know it's most likely not for me 

Another Won by Majesty from Majestic Harmonies (if this is Chris Collins then he sucks big time.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:51:37 PM by faemir » Logged
nimrod
Resident Big Thinker
Forum Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »

Trance I just find rather pointless and odd

No way, dancing to trance is great! Especially when you are with loads of other people and there's a huge amount of bass coming out some bad ass speakers

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »

christian metal/rock
rap
hip-hop
metalcore
punk/emo
glam metal

christian stuff is just absolutely lame, rap i cant relate too cuz im a lameass white guy, hip-hop is too upbeat and overrated, metalcore just scares me (image and sound), emo i HATEHATEHATE the most because they need to stop cutting themselves and writing emo poetry and focus on having a good time; plus they have a bad sense of hairstyle, and im no hair stylist) and glam metal is just too poppy and just too many songs about sex (like rap) 

im out of breath

NOT EMO MUSIC

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!!!
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »

Trance I just find rather pointless and odd

No way, dancing to trance is great! Especially when you are with loads of other people and there's a huge amount of bass coming out some bad ass speakers

uhn tiss, uhn tiss, uhn tiss

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »

Rap/hip-hop - too much emphasis on beat, not enough on music...also the lyrics pretty much always piss me off
Christian rock - it's just embarrassing

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »

Rap/hip-hop - too much emphasis on beat, not enough on music...also the lyrics pretty much always piss me off

exactly it all sounds the same

especially when some white jackass who thinks he's black blasts it from his crappy late-model honda
all you can hear is "boom-boom, boom-boom" we're all gonna be deaf

VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 06:38:57 PM »

country.

i just don't like it. it reminds me of cats in heat wailing on the back fence.

BlobVanDam
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

country.

So you didn't like hearing the Strummin' With The Devil album? Sad
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 06:57:54 PM »

country.

Tongue

DLR is an exception.

BlobVanDam
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 07:21:56 PM »

country.

Tongue

DLR is an exception.

DLR is an exception to many things

David Lee Roth - Relentless
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 03:34:01 AM »

ska punk ... I could throw up if I even think about it; it makes my eyes water and my stomach turn over 

the rest I like
prog I love
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 09:12:11 AM »

I really try to look at music as music. I really do, I promise. BUT holy  do I ever hate some stuff!

Rap I don't like, but the 80's rap was kinda cool just because it was funny.

various kinds of metal I can stand but don't necessarily like BUT this death/black metal stuff. I am SICK of this whole "lets tremelo pick triads going down chromatically". ARGH! I realize not all the bands in that genre are like that, but the vocals, the stupid drumbeats, the lame  guitar and the bass that sucks. . . I just can't stand it. It makes me want to pray to satan not because they tell me too, but just so he'll tear their hearts and tongues out so I don't have to listen to that crap anymore. And did I mention that they look like fruitcakes?

For me I can appreciate anything that is musically complex or takes "skill" to create even if it isn't the most pretty sounding stuff. I'm not a big aleatoric music fan, but at least I can appreciate it for its weird concepts. But for me what I love is most kinds of metal, jazz, funk, etc. you name it. That's one reason why I love prog so much, there are no boundaries, so you can combine whatever genres you please.
faemir
Forum Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »

I forgot to add emo to the list. Most metalcore is lame, bar a few exceptions.

Oh and in response to people not liking christan rock/metal, what about Neal Morse? =/

As I Lay Dying are another that spring to mind...
Nick
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »

I'm not really a fan of rap, just pretty much think it's useless most of the time. I also don't like screamo, emo, and death metal because it tends to just sound like shit and give real metal a bad name. I don't *hate* country, but it has never done anything for me and tends to annoy me.

dech2410
Mister Relentless!!!
Forum Elder

Me and my best friend ;)

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 12:04:09 PM »

Rap R&B hiphop... it's all uninspired crap...

nimrod
Resident Big Thinker
Forum Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »

Rap R&B hiphop... it's all uninspired crap...

Fair enough you don't have to like it but why do you think it's "all uninspired crap"? Rap is very much inspired but is to many people not inspiring. Is this what you mean?

faemir
Forum Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 02:27:28 PM »

Fair enough you don't have to like it but why do you think it's "all uninspired crap"? Rap is very much inspired but is to many people not inspiring. Is this what you mean?

1.) Don't speak in absolutes when talking about music.

2.) Inspired by what? Their sex/gansta/guns/swearing life? 

nimrod
Resident Big Thinker
Forum Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »

1.) Don't speak in absolutes when talking about music.
It is perfectly fair to say that rap is inspired, I can say this as an absolute. It is not just my opinion, the genuine reason why many songs are written by rap artists is because they have been inspired to do so by events in their lives, e.g. many of them started off dealing drugs in predominantly black communities so they started rapping about that and so on.

2.) Inspired by what? Their sex/gansta/guns/swearing life? 

You clearly do not know much about what is behind many rap artists' music. It seems I always use the example of Jay-Z (probably because I have read a fair bit about his life and heard some stuff on the radio which I found very interesting) but the only way he could make it out of his life dealing drugs with basically no education was to make music. The rhythms and ability to express oneself through rap appealed to him and he was fascinated by the way some guys could "spit lyrics". I hope I don't have to explain what that is. Anyway, his early music was very inspired by what was going on around him and a lot of it still is although many rap artists do like to talk about sex and themselves at times . To imply there is no inspiration in rap or in pretty much any genre is ignorance.

Now kindly stop making me stick up for rap Tongue

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 02:05:39 PM »

I agree with Nimrod. . . even though I don't want to stick up for rap. ALL music is inspired, I debated this thing to the end regarding chance music. You can pretty much stretch the boundaries of music is any way you wish to make your point, but I think you don't have to do too much inspiring to say Rap is inspired. They wrote it (or at least SOMEONE did) and that music, and those lyrics were inspired by something, even if that "something" was to gain fame and money.

I said above that I dislike rap, but I find the 80's stuff kind of neat. Why I think that is because I think back then, rap took more talent than it does now. Back then, there was a lot of lyrics, not so much repitition, and some actual "music" behind it. Nowadays I just find the message is bad, the music is bad, and the lyrics are just horrible and sometimes spoken so funny they are unrecognizable. So not ALL rap is crap, because rap is still music, and music always has the potential to appeal to me. It just so happens that I am not a fan of rap, but I think that's our opinion (since many of us dislike it) and not because its all shitty.

Anyway, I'm sure dech meant to say what we are saying anyway, he was just not being as careful with his words. Even I do that sometimes, and it causes that "death mistake" as I call it, where people don't get what you are trying to say. But good points everyone, and seriously, lets get off the rap; this is a PROG forum! Could we be any further from home? 
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »

I agree with Nimrod. . . even though I don't want to stick up for rap. ALL music is inspired, I debated this thing to the end regarding chance music. You can pretty much stretch the boundaries of music is any way you wish to make your point, but I think you don't have to do too much inspiring to say Rap is inspired. They wrote it (or at least SOMEONE did) and that music, and those lyrics were inspired by something, even if that "something" was to gain fame and money.

Well, I can't speak for dech, but I assumed that when he said rap was uninspired, that meant we shared a definition of the word. 

To me (and maybe to dech2410), "inspired" means something a bit different when it's applied to any kind of artistry.  For music to be "inspired," it needs to sound like the artist who created it poured a bit of their soul into their work.  It needs to sound like they funneled their choicest emotions into their music. 

Most of the rap I've heard hasn't been "inspired" by my definition.  Most rap I've heard is driven by lust, greed, or whining.  There's no humanity to it.  I don't feel like the artist has bared his soul to me at all.  He's just making beats and making money.

/my opinion

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
rorororo
Forum Member

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 03:36:45 PM »

This thread makes me wonder how much hip-hop you guys have actually heard. Because, just like in every genre, the mainstream acts are not representative of the entire genre and it doesn't seem very "open-minded" to blow it off completely, based on those crappy examples (I hate the hip-hop on the radio, but like some other artists).
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 03:39:04 PM »

I liked rap in the 80's. I enjoy Eminem (or did, about 5 years ago). I went to a Snoop Dogg show and withstood the front-center-against the barricade crush a few weeks ago.. for the first four songs anyhow.

I don't generally like most of what I hear though. With rap, at least in my opinion, you have to like the personality of the rapper to enjoy the music. Or I do...  Undecided

faemir
Forum Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 11:17:31 AM »

Well, I can't speak for dech, but I assumed that when he said rap was uninspired, that meant we shared a definition of the word. 

To me (and maybe to dech2410), "inspired" means something a bit different when it's applied to any kind of artistry.  For music to be "inspired," it needs to sound like the artist who created it poured a bit of their soul into their work.  It needs to sound like they funneled their choicest emotions into their music. 

Most of the rap I've heard hasn't been "inspired" by my definition.  Most rap I've heard is driven by lust, greed, or whining.  There's no humanity to it.  I don't feel like the artist has bared his soul to me at all.  He's just making beats and making money.

/my opinion

Well said.

It is perfectly fair to say that rap is inspired, I can say this as an absolute.

No it's not. I'm sure that some artists make it purely for the money by coughing up more albums. Or they have some messy deal with a record company forcing them to do a set number of records etc.

A.D.D. by System of a Down from Steal this Album!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:21:41 AM by faemir » Logged
nimrod
Resident Big Thinker
Forum Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »

It is perfectly fair to say that rap is inspired, I can say this as an absolute.

No it's not. I'm sure that some artists make it purely for the money by coughing up more albums. Or they have some messy deal with a record company forcing them to do a set number of records etc.

I am sure this could be the case for some artists but that certainly does not change the fact that you cannot say rap is uninspired.

This is my final word on the subject, I quote rorororo here but change "hip-hop" to "rap":

This thread makes me wonder how much rap you guys have actually heard. Because, just like in every genre, the mainstream acts are not representative of the entire genre.

faemir
Forum Elder

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »

I am sure this could be the case for some artists but that certainly does not change the fact that you cannot say rap is uninspired.

This is my final word on the subject, I quote rorororo here but change "hip-hop" to "rap":

This thread makes me wonder how much rap you guys have actually heard. Because, just like in every genre, the mainstream acts are not representative of the entire genre.

We've been over this before - i've listened to many of the top artists of rap on last.fm - including some very respectable ones like beastie boys.

And since as you think that there is some invisible line between good rap and mainstream bad rap, well then let's say I think all the mainstream rap is crap?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: