DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: when was the last time you...  (Read 5846 times)
VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« on: March 17, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »

... really put yourself out there? Bared yourself to the masses and braced yourself for whatever might happen?

I mean, when I was 13-16 years old I would intentionally and constantly do it. I'd dress in a manner that was suitable for a teenaged girl in the 80s - outrageous and ridiculous. Same with the huge hair... people stared and I pretended to be offended so that I could have an attitude over it while secretly glad for the attention.

When I was younger than that I consistantly would befriend the kids who nobody else would be friends with, feeling sorry for them and sad that they were picked on.

But now that I'm older I realize that more and more often I'm making the choice to fit in. Blend in. Be invisible.

Now I feel like a hero who deserves a pat on the back if I bend over and pick up a head of lettuce that falls on the supermarket floor while I'm in the general vicinity.

I often wish I had the nerve or talent or opportunity to make something more of myself, but someone smart told me awhile back that before that'll happen I have to stop being afraid to succeed.

I think he had it a little bit off... first I have to have the balls to be me. No matter what.

.... just thinking out loud...

so, when was the last time YOU did that little "hero" act?

for me I guess it was when .... when....  Undecided

I guess when I sat up with my daughter till 2am when she was sick, then slept on the floor next to her all night.

Not such a big thing.

Or when I took my Pretty Miss Kitty up to the Cornell University Vetrinary Hospital after she was hit by a car and paid over $2000 that I had to borrow from my best friend and pay back for a year, though my Kittygirl was "just a stray".... she adopted me though...  but she's gone now...

anyway, your turn....

when were you last a hero?

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:05:43 AM »

this hasn't really anything to do with heroism, but I corssed my mind when reading your post:

I love to do my work at starbucks. Not lab work, of course, but I also have to give lots of powerpoint presentations all the time at meetings, congresses etc. etc. So I love putting together the presentations at starbucks - I get me a grande chai tea latte, turn my laptop on, plug my headphones in and get started.

My favorite starbucks is located in one of the busiest streets in vienna (quite close to the dominici shoe store, btw  Grin). I usually choose a table at one of the windows - they're huge like display windows. So from the outside I appear like a working mannequin. And I love the passerbys staring at me and from time to time I look up and bluntly stare back  - like they were the mannequins. Then they ususally turn their heads away quickly in embarassment and hope I didn't notice. I  that  Grin

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:14:55 AM »

[quote

Or when I took my Pretty Miss Kitty up to the Cornell University Vetrinary Hospital after she was hit by a car and paid over $2000 that I had to borrow from my best friend and pay back for a year, though my Kittygirl was "just a stray".... she adopted me though...  but she's gone now...

anyway, your turn....

when were you last a hero?
[/quote]
Now you really ARE my hero!

I can't count the times I have saved kittens from sure disaster,and paid for my friends vet bills with money I REALLY could not spare.What a special person you are! I thank you for that!
CD

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 04:07:03 AM »

When I was growing up, I had a knack for finding and saving turtles of all sizes.
ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:51:02 AM »

Wait, they charged you for the vet bills?  Did you tell them that it was a stray that you just brought in?
I found an injured bird once outside of my house when I was up there and I brought it over to the hospital and they basically told me that when people drop off injured strays they generally just take them in and treat them for free.
Maybe that only applies to smaller animals or something.

One a scale from one to awesome, I'm super-great!
ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 06:52:10 AM »

When I was growing up, I had a knack for finding and saving turtles of all sizes.

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »

Wait, they charged you for the vet bills?  Did you tell them that it was a stray that you just brought in?
I found an injured bird once outside of my house when I was up there and I brought it over to the hospital and they basically told me that when people drop off injured strays they generally just take them in and treat them for free.
Maybe that only applies to smaller animals or something.
No,it's just that it doesn't apply to vet's with smaller brains.
CD

ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »

Tongue

I should clarify that I took the bird to the same vet hospital that VFS took the cat to.

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54:21 AM »

hmmmm...therin lies a dillemma

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:57:39 AM »

Knowing how business owners think, they probably knew(or thought anyway) that you would not be willing to pay for a bird that you were probably not emotionally attached to. A cat,on the other hand can be like a child for some of us. I would have paid any amount if it would have saved Tigger. ANY amount.
CD

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »

I don't really TRY to stand out, or be a hero, but it appears what I consider "common courtesy" is heroism in some eyes.

For me, I stand out a lot anyway. I'm not overly tall (only 6'0") and I'm not too physically imposing or anything, but for some reason I just really stand out. I guess one of the reasons is that I have quite long hair (its almost at the middle of my back now! Not quite as long as brian's. . . but its getting quite long!) and my facial features just make me look like an elf (including pointed ears, ha!) out of lord of the rings or something. So even though I don't look very physically imposing, I guess people just assume from my eyes that I am dangerous somehow. So anyway, the point is that in this, in combination with the "longhair=metalhead=satan worshipper=evil person" sterotype/stigma, people can be a bit snobbish to me sometimes. So instead of walking around with a chip in my shoulder, I just do everything I would to someone who is nice to me anyway; I'll go far out of my way to open up doors, give someone a hand, say hello in an upbeat manner, etc. Just anything I can do to "make" someone's day. I don't know them, and they haven't lost my respect, so they automatically have it until they lose it. That's how I was raised anyway, be nice at all costs.

So I know that's just little things, but I guess I like the look of surprise on people's faces when they find I am not some devil worshipper who sacrifices goats to Satan on wednesdays! I like to think I am making the world a little better for us "long-haired" people who can get a hard time sometimes.

As far as true herosim I can't think of too many things that I would consider "overly heroic" on my part, but I have, on several occasions, got into a literal fist fight for friends who were incapable of doing it themselves. But that's not heroism, that's the definition of a friend. You stick up for them. period. Even if that means risking breaking your valuble hands on someone's face  I'm not aggressive, but I can't stand bullies.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »

I don't really TRY to stand out, or be a hero, but it appears what I consider "common courtesy" is heroism in some eyes.

For me, I stand out a lot anyway. I'm not overly tall (only 6'0") and I'm not too physically imposing or anything, but for some reason I just really stand out. I guess one of the reasons is that I have quite long hair (its almost at the middle of my back now! Not quite as long as brian's. . . but its getting quite long!) and my facial features just make me look like an elf (including pointed ears, ha!) out of lord of the rings or something. So even though I don't look very physically imposing, I guess people just assume from my eyes that I am dangerous somehow. So anyway, the point is that in this, in combination with the "longhair=metalhead=satan worshipper=evil person" sterotype/stigma, people can be a bit snobbish to me sometimes. So instead of walking around with a chip in my shoulder, I just do everything I would to someone who is nice to me anyway; I'll go far out of my way to open up doors, give someone a hand, say hello in an upbeat manner, etc. Just anything I can do to "make" someone's day. I don't know them, and they haven't lost my respect, so they automatically have it until they lose it. That's how I was raised anyway, be nice at all costs.

So I know that's just little things, but I guess I like the look of surprise on people's faces when they find I am not some devil worshipper who sacrifices goats to Satan on wednesdays! I like to think I am making the world a little better for us "long-haired" people who can get a hard time sometimes.

As far as true herosim I can't think of too many things that I would consider "overly heroic" on my part, but I have, on several occasions, got into a literal fist fight for friends who were incapable of doing it themselves. But that's not heroism, that's the definition of a friend. You stick up for them. period. Even if that means risking breaking your valuble hands on someone's face  I'm not aggressive, but I can't stand bullies.
Matt, I knew I liked you from your first remarks here. You are wrong about one thing,you ARE a hero! You are a walking example of "How to act" that most people need many lessons on. Keep being who you are because on a grander scale of things,it is You who are the real powerful one and THEY(the ones who judge you by their own stigma over your appearance)that are the pawns in this world. You can make great changes in this world with just that kind of day to day behavior. I'm damn proud to have you here!
Please stay,it is people like you that we really need.

PS. I had a little trap set for Rumborhole when I was saying that we needed him here.

VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »

Regarding Kitty - she was originally a stray but by the time I took her up to Cornell she was undeniably mine. She was at the local vet for a few days but when I was told to take her home to say goodbye to her I begged them for some alternative and they told me to take her to cornell right away, so i drove straight up there (about a 45 minute drive). It was worth the money even if she only lived a few more months. Sad

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »

I'm not much of a hero.  And I'm kind of the opposite of Matt as far as helping strangers goes.  I tend to mind my own business, although occasionally when I'm in a good mood or come across a particularly pretty girl, I make an exception.

But I know that's not exactly a good way to live, and every now and then I make another effort to be a friendlier, more helpful person.  But I can at least sleep at night because I know that when any of my few close friends really needs something, I drop everything to help.

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »

I'm not much of a hero.  And I'm kind of the opposite of Matt as far as helping strangers goes.  I tend to mind my own business, although occasionally when I'm in a good mood or come across a particularly pretty girl, I make an exception.

But I know that's not exactly a good way to live, and every now and then I make another effort to be a friendlier, more helpful person.  But I can at least sleep at night because I know that when any of my few close friends really needs something, I drop everything to help.
That's cool. To be honest,and I know I have been saying this in many interviews these last few weeks, I have kind of lost faith in mankind. I tend to give my kindness to animals mostly,I think they deserve it more.

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 03:55:44 PM »

Well thanks Charlie! I enjoy your kind remarks. But I know from the way some people act that kind remarks are few and far between sometimes. I can see why some people lose their faith in humanity; you can do something REALLY nice for someone, and yet they seem too busy, or too rude to even give a simple thank you. Yet when you give affection to a cat, they stick around for a loooong time. If people were more like cats, we'd have a better appreication of one another  . . . and less clumsy people. Though more hairballs unfortunately 
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »

That's cool. To be honest,and I know I have been saying this in many interviews these last few weeks, I have kind of lost faith in mankind. I tend to give my kindness to animals mostly,I think they deserve it more.

This is gonna sound like some idiot kid giving advice to a guy who has way more experience in life...but that's not the way I mean it.  It's just a thought I had.

I've noticed that I like people individually.  I mean, there are tons and tons of groups of people that I don't really like, and I don't consider myself to like people in general, but one-on-one, most people are actually pretty cool.  So while I totally understand how someone can lose faith in mankind as a whole, seeing the way some good individuals run their lives at least makes me feel better.  I kind of think that maybe we're not screwed as a species because my next door neighbor is a really good guy.   Cool

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: