DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: Phobias  (Read 13288 times)
Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« on: March 18, 2008, 04:04:57 AM »

What kinds of things are you really scared of?

For me, it would be heights, and really, REALLY confined spaces (like supertight).

And electricity.
VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 04:06:57 AM »

Spiders. Bigtime.

Also I seem to have developed a huge fear of water-related death. Boating, flooding (mostly), things of that nature tend to threaten to reduce me to tears if I'm not careful at times. All of my nightmares involve flooding and me trying to save my children.

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:09:47 AM »

Spiders. Bigtime.

Also I seem to have developed a huge fear of water-related death. Boating, flooding (mostly), things of that nature tend to threaten to reduce me to tears if I'm not careful at times. All of my nightmares involve flooding and me trying to save my children.
You need to read the book I mentioned before.I  have it in .pdf if you want it. You will lose all of those fears and free your mind if you read it.
I promise!

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:17:31 AM »

Send it. I will read.

Cecilia
upcoming postwhore
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 05:24:09 AM »

Daddy long legs. Scares the shit out of me, especially when you're out camping and trying to pee in the woods! UGH  Embarrassed

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 05:38:50 AM »

I was suffereing through 2 years of panic attacks when I was around 20, during that time I thought I would die at any instance all the time, 24 hrs a day. Today, it's hard to scare me. At least in regular situations. I don't know about extreme situations.

VFS, how come you're scared of "water-related death" in particular?
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:46:03 AM »

I don't know, I've never understood it.

I think maybe because until I was 3.5 years old we lived near the ocean, and one time I was playing in the waves and got caught and held down under one. It was very frightening.

Or maybe because once we were driving back along a narrow road with ocean on either side and I could hear my mother and her friend in the front seat talking about how they had to hurry before the road flooded...

I'm not really sure but even now just typing this I can feel my stomach knotting up. I've never understood it.

I do understand panic attacks though. I was medicated for eleven years for those, plus other issues that come with anxiety and depression.

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 06:00:38 AM »

your water explanation sounds plausible. childhood memories can be extremely sticky.

wow, 11 years of panic attacks; I definitely don't envy you for that. have you ever figured out where they came from? I finally did, after spending 2000 euros on the psychiatrist and some medication.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »

I'm going through a rough period. 6 months so far, starting with the incredible stress I intentionally subjected myself to when I embarked on the recording,producing,mixing,mastering etc. Then I came home and the SH*T hit the fan-just when I was desperately in need of the complete opposite. There were many personal issues which I won't get into but as if that wasn't enough to break me,my precious cat Tigger got killed. I'm still not over it. I miss her so much and I feel soooooo responsible for her untimely death. You guys have no idea how special she was. She loved our music. She even preferred my band over the rest. I SWEAR when I would blast the CD every time she would come up on my lap and rub on me as if to say,great job, Daddy! I first noticed that she was a metal head when she would sit right in front of the speakers while the music was freakkin BLASTING. Then I got this 200 watt Klipsch sub-woofer for my home theater and she would lie on top cuz she loved the bass and kick drums the best.
Anyway,some of you already know this because you were among the lucky few who already have the full part three CD with the booklet but it's all dedicated to Tigger and I put her where she actually is now. In paradise doing what she always loved to do. Watching birds fly around!
CD
PS here is a pic of why I knew she was cool from the beginning.

ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 10:28:17 AM »

For me, it would be heights, and really, REALLY confined spaces (like supertight).

And electricity.

Mental note: if I ever need to torture jamesman, put him in an electrified glass coffin and suspend it from a really high building.

One a scale from one to awesome, I'm super-great!
ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 10:35:27 AM »

Hmm.  Well, then you certainly do not want to know the fate of the Charlie that's in my avatar...

One a scale from one to awesome, I'm super-great!
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »

I'm going through a rough period. 6 months so far, starting with the incredible stress I intentionally subjected myself to when I embarked on the recording,producing,mixing,mastering etc. Then I came home and the SH*T hit the fan-just when I was desperately in need of the complete opposite. There were many personal issues which I won't get into but as if that wasn't enough to break me,my precious cat Tigger got killed. I'm still not over it. I miss her so much and I feel soooooo responsible for her untimely death. You guys have no idea how special she was. She loved our music. She even preferred my band over the rest. I SWEAR when I would blast the CD every time she would come up on my lap and rub on me as if to say,great job, Daddy! I first noticed that she was a metal head when she would sit right in front of the speakers while the music was freakkin BLASTING. Then I got this 200 watt Klipsch sub-woofer for my home theater and she would lie on top cuz she loved the bass and kick drums the best.
Anyway,some of you already know this because you were among the lucky few who already have the full part three CD with the booklet but it's all dedicated to Tigger and I put her where she actually is now. In paradise doing what she always loved to do. Watching birds fly around!
CD
PS here is a pic of why I knew she was cool from the beginning.

damn, what a cool kitty 
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »

Heights, water, most insects, germs, knives/needles, dogs, tight spaces and crowds, all to varying degrees.

A lot of my nightmares involve getting my teeth knocked out, which is absolutely repulsive to me, so whenever I'm going down stairs or something I worry that I'll trip, fall, and knock my teeth out.

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 12:26:03 PM »

Heights, water, most insects, germs, knives/needles, dogs, tight spaces and crowds, all to varying degrees.

A lot of my nightmares involve getting my teeth knocked out, which is absolutely repulsive to me, so whenever I'm going down stairs or something I worry that I'll trip, fall, and knock my teeth out.
I know that dream! In my teeth night mare my teeth all suddenly are loose in my mouth like a bunch of stones. I made a reference to it in "The Dream" from O3 part 1" "When I tried to warn them, my teeth fell from my mouth"  LOL!

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »

I know that dream! In my teeth night mare my teeth all suddenly are loose in my mouth like a bunch of stones. I made a reference to it in "The Dream" from O3 part 1" "When I tried to warn them, my teeth fell from my mouth"  LOL!

Heh.  Yeah, I remember that part.  It always makes me cringe, because...you know, I can't help but imagine it happening to me.   

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 01:23:53 PM »

I have that same dream! And when I close my mouth they're all rattling against one another loosely... frightening!

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »

Heh.  Yeah, I remember that part.  It always makes me cringe, because...you know, I can't help but imagine it happening to me.   
haha! That's why I used that line because I know a lot of people can relate.
Ever have the dream where you are in class at school and suddenly realize you are completely naked?
I studied psychology and I know what that dream actually means. It basically is coming from a deep feeling of fear to expose you most inner sensitve and vulnerable self which is what every artist has to overcome in order to be a good actor,singer,writer,painter etc.
Pretty neat stuff,the human mind and it's creative power to effect change in the world

Cecilia
upcoming postwhore
Forum Member

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 01:32:56 PM »

Well I guess you can't visit my house. I have 2 dogs and my brother who lives a floor under us has 3. You'd never survive Times Square NYC, it's tourist hell. And, I guess no going for tattoos together, huh?

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 01:59:57 PM »

Ever have the dream where you are in class at school and suddenly realize you are completely naked?
I studied psychology and I know what that dream actually means. It basically is coming from a deep feeling of fear to expose you most inner sensitve and vulnerable self which is what every artist has to overcome in order to be a good actor,singer,writer,painter etc.
Pretty neat stuff,the human mind and it's creative power to effect change in the world

Ha!  At least in my version of the naked-at-school dream I had a t-shirt on.  But it wasn't exactly long enough, to, uh...you know...cover what was most important. 

But yeah.  I definitely agree that human creativity has incredible power to influence people for good and to change the world.  I hope to be able to contribute to all that someday.   

Well I guess you can't visit my house. I have 2 dogs and my brother who lives a floor under us has 3. You'd never survive Times Square NYC, it's tourist hell. And, I guess no going for tattoos together, huh?

I get nervous when my roommate slices pizza...so I'm pretty sure I'll never have a tattoo.  But if you promise to wrap everything in your house in bubble wrap, I'd be happy to visit.   Tongue

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »

Hahaha, that's awesome.

For me, I don't really have too many phobia's. I have this mini phobia of disrespect; I always feel horrible when I discover people saying bad things behind my back or something, even if its completely stupid and unimportant. I guess I just like feeling respected, and words can get to me the most.

I also have somewhat of a performing fear. I do fine if I am just perfoming, but being a music student, I was judged (and still am being judged) for my music and graded on it. It just makes my hands want to freeze and my mind can't think anything other than "don't screw up!" And of course it happens when you think that. The only time when I wasn't nervous of being judged was when I was playing with a jazz fusion band in a small jazz club. Even though I was being judicated by a director of the local symphony (kind of like a philharmonic) who just happened to play my instrument (guitar), a jazz legend who was a teacher of mine who knew my weaknesses, and a legendary drummer who was a  ing time machine making sure I wasn't offbeat. Yet despite all of that pressure, I did completely fine and didn't panic. Maybe it was because I was being roasted by the f**king stage lights, those things are brutal! I feel like a roasted chicken at the supermarket under those. But that was the only time I was being graded and didn't get SUPER nervous.

Also, a fear of really high heights, but only when I am on a ledge (heights in excess of 100 ft or something i'd say) and extremely confined spaces, especially if something really heavy is on me, where there is no possible way I can get out. But other than that, no amount of surprising, threatening, etc. will effect me. You could tell me you will rip my eyes out, but I won't be afraid of it until your doing it! I think this emotion is appropriate for that situation: 
nimrod
Resident Big Thinker
Forum Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 06:15:26 PM »

LOL that smiley is the bomb. Seriously I love it but I'm afraid to use it in case I somehow detract from its worth by using it too much. There you go one of my phobias for you Wink

Matt, in response to the first part of your post, I'm sure you (being of sound mind) will have heard of the theory or idea that we all have particular emotional needs often related in some way to our childhood. There are ten main ones I think such as attention, affection, affirmation and so on. We all need to have some degree of all these emotional needs to be stable (hence the term emotional needs) but we also have particularly important emotional needs as I have already mentioned. Yours may well be respect. Instead of looking for a hug all the time (affection) you prefer to be looked up to - kind of like me actually, I hate it when people look down on me because of some social barrier. Also, when there is a lack of one of these needs we respond to it, like if we really want people to be attentive to us but nobody ever glances our way then we will probably end up trying to fill this with another emotional need in some way. Irrelevant really but thought I'd mention it as I find it pretty interesting.

My phobias... I don't care much for heights unless I am convinced that I am completely safe but I can do the whole rock-climbing and absailing thing unless it's absailing down some HUGE building. But this is all if I feel safe, which depends on who is keeping me safe really - they need to seem like they know what they are doing and won't drop me. Other phobias...I guess rejection is something we are all afraid of. In one of it's common forms it can be just being afraid to ask out a girl (or guy for those ladies amongst us) while in other forms it can turn into much more complicated issues such as racism. A black child (apologies if this example offends anyone) might start his first day at kindergarten and has been really looking forward to it but then when he gets there none of the other kids want to play with him because he doesn't look the same as them. Apart from those I'm not sure what else I would say is a phobia for me...don't much like the idea of deep, dark lakes and seas and stuff though.

Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »

And electricity.

Mental note: if I ever need to torture jamesman, put him in an electrified glass coffin and suspend it from a really high building.
Mental note: Send assassin to take out ZeppelinDT and take his DT collection.
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 07:00:39 PM »

Mental note: Send assassin to take out ZeppelinDT and take his DT collection.

I won't testify against you in the murder trial if you give me half of Zep's collection.

BlobVanDam
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 07:33:50 PM »

I have never had a dream where I'm in class and naked. Does that mean I'm awesome? Grin
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »

The last time I was at Times Square I thought I was on tour in Tokyo. 1,000,000 Japanese photographers!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: