DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: Forum reluctance! (& an O3 spiritual discussion)  (Read 36066 times)
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 06:45:07 PM »

God 'dude'  LOL!

....and they asked him why all the suffering and he sayeth  to them.....Dudes!
...I'm like......totally bummed!      Charlie   2:44

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »

Charlie could be preaching about how if we all hold hands and pray to god with one another that we would reach the afterlife, and I'd STILL buy his music, because I like his MUSIC. His beliefs and whatever else are irrelevent in my opinion.

So...if Dominici's next album had awesome music but lyrically was about his violent hatred of some specific minority and depicted gruesome murders and delightful descriptions of slaughtering children and raping women...you'd enjoy that?

Disclaimer:  I am in no way suggesting that any member of Dominici hates any kind of minority or is a proponent of rape or infanticide.   Cheesy

The story is brilliant, the music is great, and it paints a wonderful story; you'd be missing out if you decided to not buy it over something as silly as religon.

Frankly, this comment shocks me, considering your usual tactfulness.  Please don't trivialize and dismiss other people's beliefs like this.  "Silly?"  Seriously?  Religion tends to deal with pretty important things...you know, like the eternal fate of your soul.  If a religious person feels that hearing music they may enjoy could jeopardize an eternity in heaven, he'd be an idiot to actually listen to that music.

I'm not saying that this is the case here.  I don't think anybody's going to hell because of listening to Dominici.  But I feel like you're not giving the other side of the argument the credibility it deserves.  You're not even trying to see the opposite point of view.

Just because you don't happen to believe in a religion doesn't mean that it's something silly that should be a lower priority than music.   Smiley

Regarding the first comment: Yeah, I probably would. . . the MUSIC that is. Like I said, music is relatively harmless, its the words that you put to it that ever have any effect. And I'm not really that susceptible to that sort of thing, since I will never, in any way, rape, kill or murder anyone. They always say "never say never", but trust me, I'm likely to be able to block that out. I do see your point though, and yes, I would question the quality of character of the person who wrote it, but to me, music is more than just words, when I look at music, I look at the music. When I listen to an album I can do it in one of two ways: I can use my English (literary) side and look at the story, or I can use my music side, and look at it musically. The latter is 9 times out of ten what I use, and I am more likely to hear the notes of the vocal lines than the actual words, and that music, as long as its amazing and good, is what's important to me, even if the person who wrote it happens to be (or like the idea of) a murderer, rapist, etc.

Regarding the second part: Yeah, I knew when I wrote that that "silly" wasn't the correct word. It didn't really convey my point as I wanted it to. What I MEANT, was that music is autonomous from religion (hear me out). For me, when I say music, I mean MUSIC, not the stories, ideas and literary themes and devices that are laid on top of music. Music is merely something that evokes something inside of you; to me that is a feeling you can get no where else, and no matter what the music, it remains discreet from religion. Back in the day the church used to call you a Satan worshipper if you played dissonances such as Major 7ths, 6ths, etc. but the world isn't like that anymore. Music (and I mean notes, not literary ideas) has very little to do with religion, and I doubt you'd be damned for listening to certain notes.

But yes, again, I see your point, and while it came across different than I intended and I think your jumping the gun a bit calling me some disregarding heathen ( kidding of course, I'm just being dramatic!). But yes, I was a little harsh. For me, I think this is where I finally get dragged into this whole mess. Music to me, is essientially life. It means everything, and my entire life revolves around it. I think my feelings with music are similar to the way people feel about religion, and that's why I know they feel so strongly with it; it just flows from your soul and you are one with it; your right, anything entwined with your BEING isn't silly, it was the wrong word. All I meant was that, in my opinion, he'd really be missing out (ACTUALLY make that ANYONE would be missing out). Religion isn't silly, no, but I just think the idea that you have to restrict yourself is. And yes, I am respecting other people's religions when I say this, since that is what humanity is, restraint. That's what ultimately seperates humaity from chaos; the reason why I don't kill my loved ones, or my neighbhors, etc. is because I excercise restraint. Which for me, is obviously easy, but for other people with different dispositions it isn't, and it becomes even harder with stricter rules like "don't listen to this, or don't believe that". And again, no that is never silly. But my whole point that I was making in the original post was that if you are resiliant enough to withstand the message and look PAST the lyrics and story, there is still an enriching experience for you to enjoy, and music shouldn't (and I don't think ever does) condemn you.

Anyway, sorry for my little slip up in eloquence there; my words failed me for once  Sad Can I please be forgiven? You all know how much I love you. . .  Cry

Haha, but seriously, sorry if I caused any offence. I in NO WAY meant that religion or your beliefs are silly (for anyone). Music just means a lot to me, and I was trying to get across the point that music and religion contain no conflict; words and notes don't mix, they can only be layered. So if you peel off that layer of words in Charlie's music, you get the music, which is still more than enough to enjoy. Hope this clarifies my point.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 08:07:37 PM »

You know ,it reminds me of sometimes when I ask someone "Do you like Sushi?" and they reply, "No i hate it" I ask, "Have you ever tried it?" they repond, "No"

There is no need to ignore the lyrics,that's not what I write them for. The need is to understand the lyrics,which I believe will take some time. Trust me on this one.
 Grin

Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »

Would someone please  do me a HUGE favor and define "God" so I can know if  I am anti God or pro God for once?

Well, the God I am referring to is the one who brought us into this world, came into the world as a man to die for our sins, and is active with us and loves us.

I asked for the definition of God. you defined him(above) as Christ,yet you acknowledge Christ as "The son of God"
Which is it?
Both.
mike566
Forum Elder

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 08:35:50 PM »

Run and grab your pitchforks, it's a fiction story.
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »

*a whole lotta stuff*

Yeah, I figured it was one of those I-know-this-isn't-the-right-word-but-I'll-just-keep-going moments.  Sorry for overreacting.   Wink

But as far as your comments about appreciating lyrics versus appreciating music, Charlie makes a good point:

There is no need to ignore the lyrics,that's not what I write them for. The need is to understand the lyrics,which I believe will take some time. Trust me on this one.
 Grin

Given your evident familiarity with English, literature, and literary devices, it's particularly unfortunate that you tend to overlook the lyrics in favor of the music.  If the artist chooses to write lyrics, the words become part of the music, part of the statement the artist is making with words and sounds.  I bet you could really get a whole lot more out of your music if you manage to focus on both the music and the lyrics.

I don't know why I've been preaching at you so much lately.  Sorry.  I'll step off now.

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 01:26:27 AM »

Would someone please  do me a HUGE favor and define "God" so I can know if  I am anti God or pro God for once?

Well, the God I am referring to is the one who brought us into this world, came into the world as a man to die for our sins, and is active with us and loves us.

I asked for the definition of God. you defined him(above) as Christ,yet you acknowledge Christ as "The son of God"
Which is it?
Both.
That's almost  an oxy moron. He is both the ceator and the created? Pehaps you mean he made a clone of himself?
How can he be both God and the son of God? "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son". Your answer(both) is a perfect example of why Science and Religion cannot co-exist without constant conflict. It's as simple as saying the truth and the lie are both correct. This is a perfect example of the main
reason that people cannot universally accept only one religion,lack of "truth". When the truth comes,and trust me, it IS COMING, you will notice that all religions are going to PALE by comparison. Do yourself a favor. Click the link on the left panel of the main page here that says "A bit about 2012" There is a DR. with a long list of credentials and college degrees who has written a series of "Spritual Enlightenment" books. If you are not ready for this reality,then simply ignore them. If you truly want to be "Saved" then read on.
PS.Please don't take this as an attack on your religion.I am only trying to help you out. The truth shall set you free.

So, since it was not even partially answered by those responses, I once again pose my original question.Will someone please define "God" for me?
CD

Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2008, 05:03:03 AM »

It doesn't matter if someone is a doctor or not, it doesn't mean he is the next Messiah. Call me crazy, but reading over that list seems to be the perspective of one man who takes truths and tries to make some religion out of it. You can call it spirituality, because I just read the other thread about "no more religion discussions, but we will still have spiritual discussions," but it seems pretty "religious" to me. Come on, that's pretty contradictory (to put it nicely).

If I want to be saved, I need to read on? I have absolutely no reason to believe in that. I do have a reason to have the faith I have. No, it's not because I have been "conditioned" to believe that. It's because it is where the evidence has led me.

So, you say no more religious discussion, yet you want a definition for "God," even though I gave you an answer? What else do you want?

He is the God of the Bible, the Creator, the one who brought us into this world (by whatever means necessary), the being that is bigger, wiser, and more powerful than us, who claims to love us enough to become a man and die for us, performing miracles before His death and Resurrection. That is the God I believe in, and the only one that I believe exists. How else do you want Him defined, unless you don't really care and are trying to make a point but you still present the question as if you were innocent to begin with.

Frankly, I am getting a vibe off of this forum of a cult-like attitude with this new spirituality. It's worse than what some fellow Christians even do. I am being honest, and maybe it's just me, so don't go off on a tangent because if you cannot take someone's opinion, because then you cannot be taken seriously. 

Btw, I didn't take any of that as an attack on my beliefs/religion. I addressed your points accordingly and gave you my opinion of things. So, no offense taken on that part. Smiley
Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2008, 05:07:46 AM »

Run and grab your pitchforks, it's a fiction story.
Well, that was certainly enlightening.  Roll Eyes
Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2008, 10:57:21 AM »

That certainly is childish, but whatever makes you laugh (and too bad you can't come up with anything original).
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »

This thread is getting dangerous.   Embarrassed

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »

*a whole lotta stuff*

Yeah, I figured it was one of those I-know-this-isn't-the-right-word-but-I'll-just-keep-going moments.  Sorry for overreacting.   Wink

But as far as your comments about appreciating lyrics versus appreciating music, Charlie makes a good point:

Grin

Given your evident familiarity with English, literature, and literary devices, it's particularly unfortunate that you tend to overlook the lyrics in favor of the music.  If the artist chooses to write lyrics, the words become part of the music, part of the statement the artist is making with words and sounds.  I bet you could really get a whole lot more out of your music if you manage to focus on both the music and the lyrics.

I don't know why I've been preaching at you so much lately.  Sorry.  I'll step off now.

Again, I don't ALWAYS overlook the lyrics; just "most" of the time. When I first get a CD, I sit down, and everyday I listen to it all the way through, usually reading the lyrics until I have them memorized. I also go through my head and analyze it as much as possible, figuring out all the ideas behind it (though there is a lot to analyze with the trilogy). However, since I listen to music so much, it just so happens that after my analysis is done (though its never "truly" finished since lyrics always spark something in your head) that I focus on the music. Prog albums always provide a wealth of information for me, both musically and lyrically since you ALWAYS hear something you didn't the first time, or the last time. It even takes me several listens of an album before I truly "get it". So I think your underestimating what I am trying to say here. I still stand by it, because I think I said exactly what I mean, but just because "90%" of the time I listen to the music rather than the words, doesn't mean I haven't gained something from the words. In fact, I go into great detail with the words and the meaning behind the lyrics as I already said.

Not to put words in your mouth, but I think what your doing is assuming that because I only listen to lyrics 10% of the time, I only understand 10% of the lyrics, which isn't true at all. Its just that with MOST music (with the exception of concept albums) there isn't much to the lyrics; you get it, and you move on. If I listened to "hot cross buns" 1000 times (this is an exaggeration here), that would mean that I listened to the lyrics, 100 times. Don't you think I'd understand most of what is to be said by the lyrics by then? With Charlie's albums I listen to the lyrics a lot; I always take out my little book to follow along, but I'm still in that early stage, so I can't say what will happen later on. But trust me, I never move on if there is still mystery left; so I think your wrong in assuming that my listening experience isn't "enriched" enough by not listening to the lyrics; because I do listen to the lyrics, it's just that I listen to the music more after I take in most of what the lyrics have to offer. No offence, but that was pretty dogmatic of you to say that I'm not getting "the most of of my music".
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »

It doesn't matter if someone is a doctor or not, it doesn't mean he is the next Messiah. Call me crazy, but reading over that list seems to be the perspective of one man who takes truths and tries to make some religion out of it. You can call it spirituality, because I just read the other thread about "no more religion discussions, but we will still have spiritual discussions," but it seems pretty "religious" to me. Come on, that's pretty contradictory (to put it nicely).

If I want to be saved, I need to read on? I have absolutely no reason to believe in that. I do have a reason to have the faith I have. No, it's not because I have been "conditioned" to believe that. It's because it is where the evidence has led me.

So, you say no more religious discussion, yet you want a definition for "God," even though I gave you an answer? What else do you want?

He is the God of the Bible, the Creator, the one who brought us into this world (by whatever means necessary), the being that is bigger, wiser, and more powerful than us, who claims to love us enough to become a man and die for us, performing miracles before His death and Resurrection. That is the God I believe in, and the only one that I believe exists. How else do you want Him defined, unless you don't really care and are trying to make a point but you still present the question as if you were innocent to begin with.

Frankly, I am getting a vibe off of this forum of a cult-like attitude with this new spirituality. It's worse than what some fellow Christians even do. I am being honest, and maybe it's just me, so don't go off on a tangent because if you cannot take someone's opinion, because then you cannot be taken seriously. 

Btw, I didn't take any of that as an attack on my beliefs/religion. I addressed your points accordingly and gave you my opinion of things. So, no offense taken on that part. Smiley

Jamesman.no offense but it sounds like YOU are the one who is in a "cult" LISTEN TO YOURSELF!

first you say he is god,then he is the son of god,then jesus himslf is god,then he is god who made himself into a man.

The thread about no more religion is going to be enforced AND this is the  exactly reason why. Jamesman,maybe you should just go to church and stay away from us because we might influence you and I don't think you are ready for the truth.
I am not being facisious,or trying to insult you,but the God,BS has to stop. This is not a Religious forum.Stop now or I will delete or lock the thread. At this point you admit you saw the new rules,if anyone posts religious posts I will delete them.

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2008, 11:16:56 AM »

whoever posted that awaul poster,don't do that again. That's something you can share with me privately but it isn't fair to insult people who might take offense.
People have died over the cartoon of mohammed. it's a serious issue.
These religious people are dangerous fanatics sometimes.

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »

Personally I think this religion discussion should be stopped regardless. We are a collection of intellectuals here, and we have our own opinions, yet when it comes to religion, we boarder on all out war; and people ask why the middle east erupts in religous conflicts everyday; it nearly happens here at "home"!

Religion is just too touchy of a subject. People who are intelligent and who would have some wonderful things to offer to the MUSIC part of the forum (what the forum is actually about believe it or not!. . . no pun intended) are scared away because they personally think we attack them, or we're some cult etc. And while neither of those things are true, all it takes is their own mind to get that in their head and leave, and that's horrible in my opinion.

So I'm up for ending this whole religion debate, its not getting anywhere anyway, and its leading to open hostility between some* memebers.

*I know not everyone is involved in this, thankfully.  
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »

I am NOT going to lock,delete or otherwise discontinue this thread. It is an O3 Spiritual discussion,not a religious discussion. If you do not know the difference between spirituality and religion than you do not have any business posting in this thread.

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »

Personally I think this religion discussion should be stopped regardless. We are a collection of intellectuals here, and we have our own opinions, yet when it comes to religion, we boarder on all out war; and people ask why the middle east erupts in religous conflicts everyday; it nearly happens here at "home"!

Religion is just too touchy of a subject. People who are intelligent and who would have some wonderful things to offer to the MUSIC part of the forum (what the forum is actually about believe it or not!. . . no pun intended) are scared away because they personally think we attack them, or we're some cult etc. And while neither of those things are true, all it takes is their own mind to get that in their head and leave, and that's horrible in my opinion.

So I'm up for ending this whole religion debate, its not getting anywhere anyway, and its leading to open hostility between some* memebers.

*I know not everyone is involved in this, thankfully.  

EXACTLY WHY I DO NOT LIKE RELIGION!  I am an inhabitant of this planet as well. I have a right to decide that I am against something that I KNOW is killing my world. Religion is killing the world
WAKE UP! We will not support religion here. We will not discuss religion here. THAT IS  IT!

Spirituality only. Learn the difference.

Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »

Grow up. This has turned into a religion bashing thread, not a spiritual discussion. I understand you all hate religion, fine, but if you cannot take someone disagreeing with you or talking about something you don't normally like, then you are the close-minded individual.

I haven't seen ANY discussion on the spiritual nature of the album since I have started making my point of view known. You say no more talk about religion, and yet you continue to do so and to tell that I am wrong, and very blatantly I might add.

I can see myself not posting at this forum anymore because of the level of hypocrisy and close-mindedness here, from the admin no less.

Whatever. You want to talk about spirituality, well let me tell you, that kind of discussion can usually lead to religion, one way or another. I think you just don't want opinions other than yours floating around here. But like you said, this is YOUR forum, and not mine, but that doesn't mean your forum will be any good.

Will you learn from this? I hope so. Take a step back and evaluate what you are doing here, Charlie.

I will say thanks to VFS and Phantasmatron for being great to me.

Peace.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »

Thats because you have forced us to have to wade through all of the "Religious" BS first. When that is over,maybe we can get into a spiritual discussion.

Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »

Thats because I had to wade through all of the "Religious" bashing first. When that is over,maybe we can get into a spiritual discussion.
Fixed.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »

Thats because I had to wade through all of the "Religious" bashing first. When that is over,maybe we can get into a spiritual discussion.
Fixed.

don't fix my words. Imeant BS! not bashing.

Your being warned now. If you are just going to continue to disrupt,you will be banned.

veronica
Global Moderator

and I love them

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2008, 12:16:24 PM »

Religion and politics often make some people lose all perspective and give way to ranting and raving and carrying on like emotional children they either refuse to discuss it with reason or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion...
(link. Fiancé knows the whole thing by heart )

Are we done now? Embarrassed

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2008, 12:17:44 PM »

Religion and politics often make some people lose all perspective and give way to ranting and raving and carrying on like emotional children they either refuse to discuss it with reason or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion...
(link. Fiancé knows the whole thing by heart )

Are we done now? Embarrassed
exactly why it is not permitted here!

Thank you,V

Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »

Eh, whatever. I want to be banned from this place, so there you go: an end to the discussion.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »

bye

well miss you

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: