DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: WDaDU Appreciation Thread  (Read 17660 times)
Nick
Global Moderator

« on: February 29, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »

Okay, you know someone will have to do this eventually, so I'm just gonna take care of it now. Smiley

Personally I think it is easily Dream Theater's most underrated album. The sound is fresh, energetic, powerful, and the only thing it lacks is production. Songs like The Killing Hand, A Fortune in Lies, Only a Matter of Time, and Status Seeker (Yes, Status Seeker) really should not be overlooked as they are in the grand scheme of DT's career. And there is not a bad song in the ones I didn't mention either. Incredibly consistent, entertaining, and excellent.

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »

Okay, you know someone will have to do this eventually, so I'm just gonna take care of it now. Smiley

Personally I think it is easily Dream Theater's most underrated album. The sound is fresh, energetic, powerful, and the only thing it lacks is production. Songs like The Killing Hand, A Fortune in Lies, Only a Matter of Time, and Status Seeker (Yes, Status Seeker) really should not be overlooked as they are in the grand scheme of DT's career. And there is not a bad song in the ones I didn't mention either. Incredibly consistent, entertaining, and excellent.
And the vocals sound like "Alvin and the chipmunks" Shocked

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
LudwigVan
Forum Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »

Appreciates.   I love the entire album. 
tri.ad
Good God, what is this?!
Forum Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »

It's so goddamn underrated...

Imo, it contains many elements that the DT of the presence lacks to a certain extent.
The middle section in LFAGA is so goddamn groovy, OAMOT has an epic ending, and there are so many overlooked gems on this album that it's not even funny.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:59:54 AM by tri.ad » Logged

SFAM is NOT a masterpiece at all.
the shredmaster
Forum Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »

It's a great album, The Killing Hand is awesome.

veronica
Global Moderator

and I love them

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:01:30 PM »

I want a hula hoop!
But yes, I love this album, despite the mentioned production, eh, lackings.
When I bought this, the seller (the bass player in Pagans Mind, btw) looked at me weird and said "you know there's a different vocalist on that one, right? And the production! Man!" I answered something to the effect of "gotta catch'em all, you know" -letting him know I was completing my DT studio record collection. And then I listened to it and was very pleasantly surprised.
So yeah, *appreciates*

VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:06:23 PM »

I want a hula hoop!
LMAO!!

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
nimrod
Resident Big Thinker
Forum Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »

It's so goddamn underrated...

Completely. I think the musicianship is brilliant and it's pure Dream Theater, it has a definite original feel to it. Love it.

*appreciates*

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »

There's something about when it's "real". That feeling like you aren't even thinking about whether people will like it or not,you just do it because you have to do it. That's what shines on that album. It was real. I'm not saying DT didn't achieve that again because I think they do and have done it often after that CD but that album had what  Cobain would say "smells like teen spirit". We were young(well THEY were anyway)and we didn't care. We just were doing what we loved to do. After you get dragged through the muddy world of the "Music Business" for enough years it's a tribute to any band that can still hold on to that reality. My hat tips to DT on many occasions for that very reason. I still  say the vocals on WDADU sound like f**king chipmunks though.

wkiml
smokin weed, drinkin beer
Forum Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »

I love the songs but its the production that keeps it from being a constant CD in my player
the shredmaster
Forum Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 01:25:14 PM »

Listening to it now, Fortune In Lies is great.

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 01:30:38 PM »

I love the songs but its the production that keeps it from being a constant CD in my player
Get like a 500 band equalizer and boost the bass,lower the mids,take out the honky frequencies 200-400k then dip the CD itself in honey and stick it to you right butt-cheek.
 Grin

Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »

Listening to it now, Fortune In Lies is great.
This.
wkiml
smokin weed, drinkin beer
Forum Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »

Get like a 500 band equalizer and boost the bass,lower the mids,take out the honky frequencies 200-400k then dip the CD itself in honey and stick it to you right butt-cheek.
 Grin

I'll get right on that but a quick question if I used my left cheek instead of the right will it playing backwards satanic messages
the shredmaster
Forum Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »

I'm actually starting to enjoy Status Seeker now, I always thought it was a boring song but it's pretty good.

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »

Grin

I'll get right on that but a quick question if I used my left cheek instead of the right will it playing backwards satanic messages
It'll say "I buried Mike"

Jamesman
Crown Caster
Inactive

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 01:37:58 PM »

I've got to try that.
antigoon
<3 <3 <3
Forum Elder

<3 <3 <3

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »

Such an underrated and under appreciated album. So many kick ass moments on it, and I really don't have a problem with the production. Charlie sounds awesome, and I think the only time I ever preferred James on the vocals of WDADU were on LATM.

Highlights:
A Fortune In Lies
Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
Afterlife
Only A Matter Of Time

My signature. Let me show you it.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »

Ok. Here's some cold facts for you all. When Mike decide to do the WDADU album in L.A. that 2004 March,I know ,as does everyone,it was partly,if not mainly to get a better recorded version of that CD with James singing the songs.I can appreciate that because A. James is the singer now and B. people have hounded them to re-record it with James for years and C.... I forgot what C  was. Anyway,here's the real deal. James sang a whole set of intense DT songs before he tackled that WDADU set and take it from me, those vocal melodies are not for wimps to sing. I had trouble with them many times even without having sung for an hour and a half first. I know that James could do a much better job if he sang those songs in a studio setting than he did that night. If you watch the video,you can see it in his face when he introduced me for "To live forever". He looked fried. I know that feeling, I have been there  myself and in light of this he did a pretty good job. Those vocals are hard to sing not only because of the range but the breathing patterns. I know I have commented on this before,but with most of those songs if you miss one breath you are dead. So I guess we all missed a chance to hear that album well recorded and with better vocals...unless Mike and the boys want to re-record it with me someday...hmmmmmm

ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »

Grin

It'll say "I buried Mike"

hm.
I always thought it said "cranberry bike"
I guess you learn something new every day!

One a scale from one to awesome, I'm super-great!
TheOutlawXanadu
The Original Unseasoned Fan
Forum Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »

When Dream and Day Unite is one of the best things Dream Theater has done to date, and a major reason why it is so good is the vocal melodies. Every melody is tough to sing -- they're all so unique and fresh and interweaving. The songs stick with you even if you can't quite remember them the first few times through, and once you listen to the record enough, you realize that it's a gem. People forget, as mentioned in the Dream Theater book, that WDADU might be one of the band's most critically successful albums. There are several reasons for this: firstly, the songs that grace WDADU are excellent, and secondly, those who listened to the record back when it first came out in 1989 did so with no preconceived notions.
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »

When Dream and Day Unite is one of the best things Dream Theater has done to date, and a major reason why it is so good is the vocal melodies. Every melody is tough to sing -- they're all so unique and fresh and interweaving. The songs stick with you even if you can't quite remember them the first few times through, and once you listen to the record enough, you realize that it's a gem. People forget, as mentioned in the Dream Theater book, that WDADU might be one of the band's most critically successful albums. There are several reasons for this: firstly, the songs that grace WDADU are excellent, and secondly, those who listened to the record back when it first came out in 1989 did so with no preconceived notions.
Kudos on the second point especially.

lutima
Forum Member

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »

Ok. Here's some cold facts for you all. When Mike decide to do the WDADU album in L.A. that 2004 March,I know ,as does everyone,it was partly,if not mainly to get a better recorded version of that CD with James singing the songs.I can appreciate that because A. James is the singer now and B. people have hounded them to re-record it with James for years and C.... I forgot what C  was. Anyway,here's the real deal. James sang a whole set of intense DT songs before he tackled that WDADU set and take it from me, those vocal melodies are not for wimps to sing. I had trouble with them many times even without having sung for an hour and a half first. I know that James could do a much better job if he sang those songs in a studio setting than he did that night. If you watch the video,you can see it in his face when he introduced me for "To live forever". He looked fried. I know that feeling, I have been there  myself and in light of this he did a pretty good job. Those vocals are hard to sing not only because of the range but the breathing patterns. I know I have commented on this before,but with most of those songs if you miss one breath you are dead. So I guess we all missed a chance to hear that album well recorded and with better vocals...unless Mike and the boys want to re-record it with me someday...hmmmmmm

It's great to hear you say this, Charlie  Smiley, very noble of you  Cool
I always loved the album, especially The Killing Hand  Smiley

Caroline

"Turn the key, walk through the gate"
splent
Forum Elder

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »

WDADU is my 2nd favorite Dream Theater album.  It's MASSIVELY underrated, and it is just so amazing.  Only A Matter of Time is my favorite Dream Theater song.  Charlie, you sound AMAZING on that.
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »

While I don't agree that WDADU is one of the best things DT has done, I do agree that it has some fantastic melodies on it and the songwriting was very strong. 

Only a Matter of Time might be one of my favorite melodies of all time.  I love to sing along with it, but (kinda like Charlie was saying earlier) I get so messed up trying to figure out when to breathe and trying to remember the speedily-delivered lyrics that I usually wind up trailing off and hoping nobody overheard me from the next room.   Tongue

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: