DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: it's all a matter of culture  (Read 11201 times)
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« on: April 18, 2008, 10:58:03 AM »

inspired by the weather-thread:

... hmm, ok, let me think, something special about austria:

a) we have conveyor-belt sushi restaurants all over the place
b) when I look up and out of the window I look at a 1200 years old building
c) austria has the one of the highest densities of mac donalds restaurants worldwide
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »

a) we have conveyor-belt sushi restaurants all over the place
What does the conveyor belt do?

b) when I look up and out of the window I look at a 1200 years old building
Utah variation:  when I look out my window I see a gigantic Y painted on the mountainside.

c) austria has the one of the highest densities of mac donalds restaurants worldwide

Utah variation:  I'm within easy walking distance of three Taco Bells, two Subways, two Wendy's, and only one McDonald's.  Apparently people have excellent taste in fast food around here.   Tongue

And to keep the thread going, here's some other regional/cultural stuff you guys can compare your regions/cultures to.

Accent:  When little balls of ice fall from the sky, it's pronounced "hell" instead of "hail."

Swearing:  Since swearing is less acceptable here than in most places, college-age Utahns have made up their own versions.  It's kind of like Firefly swearing crossed with Napolean Dynamite swearing.  We have "shiz" and "fetch."  I have a friend who thinks it's funny to say "Hoover Dam!!" instead of "dammit."

Driving:  I haven't been to Boston, which I hear is bad.  But around here, the drivers are pretty awful, at least in comparison to where I grew up.  Utah drivers tend to be very impatient and a bit overagressive.  I realize people run red lights all the time, but every time I'm standing at a street corner waiting to cross...EVERY TIME, somebody runs the light.  It wasn't like that where I grew up.

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »

Some facts about Puerto Rico:

a) We are the oldest and only colony in the world. (We're still a colony is just that from 1952 it has been called "commowealth")

b) We have the oldest goverment building of all the American continent and the oldest coat of arms.

c) J.Lo, Ricky Martin, Joaquin Phoenix, Marc Anthony, Rosario Dawson, Benicio del Toro were all born or have a parent that is from Puerto Rico.

d) After the USA, Puerto Rico has the most Miss Universe wins with 5 (that's also the most by any Latin country).

Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »

I think the conveyor belt carries the little plates of sushi across the counter.

Boston's not that bad in terms of driving, not as bad as New York City. NYC's traffic is f**king horrible. I was on a class trip there once, and when we were leaving, it was during rush hour. Biggest clusterfuck I have ever been in; it took us 2 and a half hours to get out of the city. But in CT, we have some dumbasses on the road. I go to school near the "crash alley" portion of I-95. Even my neighborhood. Once I almost got run over by my sister's friend while waiting for the bus (this was winter time). Another time (also in the same winter), some lady went too fast down the hill which is my road, my driveway is at a curve going down that hill. she hit some black ice, and her car just decimated my mailbox. Cheesy

When I look around I see trees. Nothing but trees. The nearest fast-food joint is in the next town over, in Colchester.

In terms of us swearing, I guess since I and most of my friends live near New London (Whaling City Tongue ), we swear like sailors, because no one here gives a shit. sometimes we also get creative with our swears, sometimes switching compound words around (ex. Jackass - Assjack), also our emo kids use gibberish (I gurked ur mom's krug, and then i wrote a poem  Cry ) .

CT basically sucks.

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!!!
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:05 PM »

Some facts about Puerto Rico:

a) We are the oldest and only colony in the world. (We're still a colony is just that from 1952 it has been called "commowealth")

b) We have the oldest goverment building of all the American continent and the oldest coat of arms.

c) J.Lo, Ricky Martin, Joaquin Phoenix, Marc Anthony, Rosario Dawson, Benicio del Toro were all born or have a parent that is from Puerto Rico.

d) After the USA, Puerto Rico has the most Miss Universe wins with 5 (that's also the most by any Latin country).

My dad used to live in Puerto Rico back in the early 80's. He said he loved it. Now I'm jealous

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 01:27:08 PM »

c) J.Lo, Ricky Martin...Marc Anthony...were all born or have a parent that is from Puerto Rico.

Dude, if you want to get us to like Puerto Rico, that is NOT the way to do it. Grin

Oh, but if you have beautiful women, then you guys are just fine in my book.

Captain Flapjackass:  The nearest fast food is really the next town over?  Is Conneticut not big on fast food or do you live in a town with a population of fifty?

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 01:39:31 PM »

c) J.Lo, Ricky Martin...Marc Anthony...were all born or have a parent that is from Puerto Rico.

Dude, if you want to get us to like Puerto Rico, that is NOT the way to do it. Grin

Captain Flapjackass:  The nearest fast food is really the next town over?  Is Conneticut not big on fast food or do you live in a town with a population of fifty?

The second one. Salem is a cowtown, to say the least, and we are rather small. Plus people from other towns love to give us shit about living in Salem.

My first day of high school (i go to school in a different town too):

ELHS kid: Are you new?
ME: No, I live in Salem.
ELHS kid: How many cows do you have on your farm, farmboy?

we don't even have that many farms. the ones we do have, haven't been in operation for decades.

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »

I know, but hey they're well known and I had to mentioned them, but were you aware of the Joaquin Phoenix one? I'm just curious because I didn't know that until a year ago.

About the beautiful women thing, I did state we have 5 Miss Universe wins, second all time so you can bet your ass we have them! Wink

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »

Oh and I just remember this:

On 1595 Sir Francis Drake tried attacking El Morro, which is a castle on the coast of the island where all ships came through, one of the gunners from the castle shot a cannonball through the cabin of his flagships. Drake retreated, one of the very few unsuccesful siege of the Vice Admiral.

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »

I know, but hey they're well known and I had to mentioned them, but were you aware of the Joaquin Phoenix one? I'm just curious because I didn't know that until a year ago.

About the beautiful women thing, I did state we have 5 Miss Universe wins, second all time so you can bet your ass we have them! Wink

I didn't know about Joaquin Phoenix, and since he's a great actor, I guess he makes up for at least two of the trifecta of evil I pointed out earlier.

And the 5 Miss Universe wins definitely tips the scales in your favor.  Puerto Rico is awesome.

Plus, it's fun to say.  PWHERE-to REE-ko.   

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »

.... At least is a close pronunciation to the real pronunciation.

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »

.... At least is a close pronunciation to the real pronunciation.

Eh, it's hard to spell out the nuances of pronunciation in a different language.  I'm pretty sure when I actually say it aloud I say it right.  I may suck at Spanish grammar, vocabulary and syntax, but my pronunciation is usually decent.  Pretty much everybody in my family speaks Spanish fluently except for me, so I'm pretty familiar with how it's supposed to sound. 

VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 04:42:20 AM »

Sounds better than my New York way of saying "Pour toe Ree ko"

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »

Cool/unique stuff about Long Island:

When you go to local bars to hang out with your friends, there's a good chance you'll run into John Petrucci.
Smiley

One a scale from one to awesome, I'm super-great!
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 09:12:56 AM »

When you go to local bars to hang out with your friends, there's a good chance you'll run into John Petrucci.
Smiley

In CT there's a good chance that you might run into Jim Matheos too. Grin

ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 09:15:55 AM »

Smiley

On Long Island there's a good chance that you might run into Charlie Dominici

[/thread]

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »

Eh, it's hard to spell out the nuances of pronunciation in a different language.  I'm pretty sure when I actually say it aloud I say it right.  I may suck at Spanish grammar, vocabulary and syntax, but my pronunciation is usually decent.  Pretty much everybody in my family speaks Spanish fluently except for me, so I'm pretty familiar with how it's supposed to sound. 
Now I'm curious to know why your family speaks fluent Spanish. Did they live for sometime in a Spanish speaking country?

Sounds better than my New York way of saying "Pour toe Ree ko"
I hate that!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:41:11 AM by dimitrius » Logged

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 10:18:56 AM »

The second one. Salem is a cowtown, to say the least, and we are rather small. Plus people from other towns love to give us shit about living in Salem.

My first day of high school (i go to school in a different town too):

ELHS kid: Are you new?
ME: No, I live in Salem.
ELHS kid: How many cows do you have on your farm, farmboy?

we don't even have that many farms. the ones we do have, haven't been in operation for decades.

salem... I always have to think of stephen king there.
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 10:20:05 AM »

Smiley

On Long Island there's a good chance that you might run into Charlie Dominici

[/thread]

OK, you got me, that's because Fates Warning is the only good band to come out of Connecticut.

ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 10:28:59 AM »

Some other Long Island Stuff:

- Its almost impossible to get bad pizza or bagels
- No matter where you are, within a five mile radius there are at least two malls and five 7-11's
- We don't have accents.  Everybody else does.
- We all love Billy Joel
- Jersey Sucks
- Long Island is a lot bigger than most of the world seems to realize.  We have nearly 3 million people (7.5 million if you count Brooklyn and Queens) and the island is almost 120 miles long (but only about 20 miles wide).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:33:51 AM by ZeppelinDT » Logged

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 10:49:29 AM »

Now I'm curious to know why your family speaks fluent Spanish. Did they live for sometime in a Spanish speaking country?

Yes, but separately.

My dad lived near Madrid for a couple years, before he was married.
My oldest sister lived in the Canary Islands for a year or two.
My next sister lived in Bolivia for a year and a half.
And my youngest sister lived near Bilbao for a while.

I guess my mom isn't fluent.  She's probably better at Spanish than I am, though.

We need a "the answer to your question is probably more than you intended to find out" kind of emoticon. Cheesy

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »

wow, there's a whole lot of phantasmotrons out in this world Cool

about conveyor belt sushi: cpt. flap had it right. I know there are some of them in the states, but I have no clue why they're not as popular as they are over here. To expand a bit on it; you usually have two lines of conveyors travelling through the restaurant, one cold line with sushi, deserts, salads, etc. and one hot line with warm chinese food like spring rolls, fried shrimp, noodles, .. you know, the usual kind of stuff. The price is about 12-15 euros (20-25 dollars); all you can eat. My personal record is 54 plates; now I'm a tiny person, so imagine how many plates a full-grown guy can do 

btw. the correct german word for conveyor belt sushi is "running sushi"
and a cell phone is called a "handy"
 Cheesy
dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 11:07:19 AM »

Yes, but separately.

My dad lived near Madrid for a couple years, before he was married.
My oldest sister lived in the Canary Islands for a year or two.
My next sister lived in Bolivia for a year and a half.
And my youngest sister lived near Bilbao for a while.

I guess my mom isn't fluent.  She's probably better at Spanish than I am, though.

We need a "the answer to your question is probably more than you intended to find out" kind of emoticon. Cheesy
Yes.

Is there some reason why they all, except your second oldest sister, chose Spain?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:10:17 AM by dimitrius » Logged

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »

about conveyor belt sushi: cpt. flap had it right. I know there are some of them in the states, but I have no clue why they're not as popular as they are over here. To expand a bit on it; you usually have two lines of conveyors travelling through the restaurant, one cold line with sushi, deserts, salads, etc. and one hot line with warm chinese food like spring rolls, fried shrimp, noodles, .. you know, the usual kind of stuff. The price is about 12-15 euros (20-25 dollars); all you can eat. My personal record is 54 plates; now I'm a tiny person, so imagine how many plates a full-grown guy can do 

So...it's like a buffet...except it's moving...on conveyor belts?  This seems weirder and weirder the more it's explained.   

Is there some reason why they all, except your second oldest sister, chose Spain?

I'm not sure.  But I guess my middle sister just had to be different. 

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »

Sisters think they're so cool!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: