DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: question for matt  (Read 3466 times)
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« on: April 24, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »

I have an english grammar question:

which one is correct:

what band do you like?
which band do you like?

*confused*

is there a rule for that?

ps. of course, everyone's invited to provide help  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 12:41:08 PM by xoxoch » Logged
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »

Well, just off the top of my head:

"what band do you like?" is good for in general, only it sounds peculiar with the singular subject. So to make it sound more "normal" i'd say "what bands do you like?" and that would be a little more valid, even if it does change the meaning a bit (by making the subject plural, you are asking them if they like more than just one band).

"which band do you like?" would be what you'd use in the specific case. For example, if you ask someone while in the line for a show "which band do you like?" your implying a comparrison to something with the word "which", so they can infer that you are asking which band they like that is playing at the show. You did the exact same "comparrison" when you asked me the question: "which one is correct?" -- you provided me with two statements and asked which was "more" gramatically correct. So when using the "which band do you like?", I'd use it in specific cases, where there is only a limited amount of bands to choose from, where they are in comparrison to one another.

With the second case though, it might be better to add a modifer on the end, like "best". It just makes the meaning a little clearer. "Which band do you like best?" when comparing bands for example.

So in general, to save you all the fancy talk:

What: This is what you say when trying to aquire information. i.e. "What is the date today?", "What is your favorite band?", etc.

Which: This is used to ask for information  specifying one or more people or things from a set. "Which pair of shoes do you like better?", "Which band had the better drummer?", etc. 

Hope this helps 

And anyone can put in additional imput if you like, I'm sure I missed something somewhere 
VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:57:52 PM »

your implying a comparrison

And anyone can put in additional imput if you like, I'm sure I missed something somewhere 

you're
comparison (only one "r")
iNput (not iMput)

your summary is beautiful, though.

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 06:39:53 AM »

brilliant thanks... I always used what/which by gut feeling - dude, you're a genius! you deciphered my guts 
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »

dude, you're a genius! you deciphered my guts 

Matt's signature should make room for that quote

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 05:11:56 PM »

Uhh, thanks? 
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 08:56:54 AM »

you're
iNput (not iMput)

Yeah, asides from the "your" (I let that one slip  ) the other two were typos. I don't feel too bad when I put "m" instead of "n" in a word though, but typos can be REALLY bad. For example: One year, I was learning about "the great vowel shift" in English. I quickly realized that whoever was teaching it, or if you were typing it, etc. you had to be VERY careful when typing "v"owel, since we all know what other letter is beside "v" on our North American keyboards. . .

Thankfully, I never screwed that up 
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 10:28:59 AM »

you're
iNput (not iMput)

Yeah, asides from the "your" (I let that one slip  ) the other two were typos. I don't feel too bad when I put "m" instead of "n" in a word though, but typos can be REALLY bad. For example: One year, I was learning about "the great vowel shift" in English. I quickly realized that whoever was teaching it, or if you were typing it, etc. you had to be VERY careful when typing "v"owel, since we all know what other letter is beside "v" on our North American keyboards. . .

Thankfully, I never screwed that up 

apparently european keyboards have the same letter next to "v" 
charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 04:53:09 PM »

Well, just off the top of my head:

"what band do you like?" is good for in general, only it sounds peculiar with the singular subject. So to make it sound more "normal" i'd say "what bands do you like?" and that would be a little more valid, even if it does change the meaning a bit (by making the subject plural, you are asking them if they like more than just one band).

"which band do you like?" would be what you'd use in the specific case. For example, if you ask someone while in the line for a show "which band do you like?" your implying a comparrison to something with the word "which", so they can infer that you are asking which band they like that is playing at the show. You did the exact same "comparrison" when you asked me the question: "which one is correct?" -- you provided me with two statements and asked which was "more" gramatically correct. So when using the "which band do you like?", I'd use it in specific cases, where there is only a limited amount of bands to choose from, where they are in comparrison to one another.

With the second case though, it might be better to add a modifer on the end, like "best". It just makes the meaning a little clearer. "Which band do you like best?" when comparing bands for example.

So in general, to save you all the fancy talk:

What: This is what you say when trying to aquire information. i.e. "What is the date today?", "What is your favorite band?", etc.

Which: This is used to ask for information  specifying one or more people or things from a set. "Which pair of shoes do you like better?", "Which band had the better drummer?", etc. 

Hope this helps 

Plus there is a huge difference between:
"What the fuck are you talking about"
and:
"Which fuck are you talking about"

WTF?

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 06:21:20 AM »

Plus there is a huge difference between:
"What the fuck are you talking about"
and:
"Which fuck are you talking about"

WTF?

What "fuck" are you talking about? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: