DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: What's your favourite book??  (Read 11433 times)
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« on: April 24, 2008, 12:27:55 PM »

I'm a very passionate reader, I read all the time. Currently I'm reading Pt. 7 of Harry Potter (in english); "Chemie des Todes" (a thriller in german - chemistry of death); transgenic animals (a textbook on transgenic animals); and immunobiology (a textbook on uhm... immunobiology)

My alltime favorite is Steven King's "Dark Tower" series; I love the set up with the different worlds and all the epic! I also love Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series.

I prefer series over single books because single books are done so fast.
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »

Good question! Only there are so many 

I'd say I have to break it down into two categories: Academic books that I have analyzed, wrote papers on, etc. And just normal books that I read for enjoyment.

Academic: one of my favorite academic books was Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. He had to be one of the greatest literary geniuses ever; Heart of Darkness was a "novella" that was only about 130 pages long, and every sentence is full of allusions, symbols, literary devices, etc. It was a monster! It blows your mind with all the stuff in it, but I loved it anyway. I also like Shakespere a lot.

Casual: This one is hard. I like a lot of books, so I'm going to "whimp out" and go with an entire genre: fantasy. I love fantasy books since you literally just escape; once the willing suspension of disbelief sets in, I take myself to another world, its awesome. And like you said, xoxoch, series are better, and almost all fantasy books come in a series. It just gets you so attached to the characters, and you try to predict who will do what etc. Just for everyday purposes, I like these books because it puts a spring in your step; who cares if magic doesn't exist, or I don't have to defend my home from orcs, its the idea that counts 
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »

Mario Puzo's "The Godfather"

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!!!
dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »

Mario Puzo's "The Godfather"
Also an amazing movie!

For me it's Gabriel García Márquez' Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude).

Nick
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:18:16 PM »

Robert A. Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has even the vaguest of interest in Science Fiction. Also great for those with an interest in politics.

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 05:09:06 PM »

I would recommend this book to anyone who has even the vaguest of interest in Science Fiction. Also great for those with an interest in politics.

Heinlein also did "Stranger in a strange land" too right? I read that one, and it was really quite good.
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 06:09:18 PM »

I'm also a sucker for Tom Clancy's books. Guess it's a result of being a Coastie's kid.

Nick
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »

Heinlein also did "Stranger in a strange land" too right? I read that one, and it was really quite good.

Yes, that would be my 2nd favorite book. Smiley

ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »

I'm actually in the process of reading the Dark Tower right now... just starting book 2.

Anyway, I know its totally cliche, but my all-time favorite books are the Lord of the Rings series.  They're just so freakin' fantastic.

One a scale from one to awesome, I'm super-great!
Donato
Forum Elder

John Petrucci Didnt gime an autograph...it sucks

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 01:01:49 AM »

Ja, I study Literature, but Im latin so most of the books I read come from latins writers. The biggest comunity of writers of venezuela is in my city and I know a lot of them, so, most of my reading come from their pages. But Im a fan of Dan Brown´s books, I love angels and demons, for me is the best novel ever writen. The dark tower series, hmmm, and from a latin writer: Cien años de soledad (one hundred years of solitude) from Gabriel García Marquez, and anything write by Francisco de Quevedo and Borges

Overtune 1928...you would be MINE!!!!!
Silent Instrument: Synphonic Progressive Metal band from Venezuela...If you want to hear us PM me.
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »

I used to be really into literature, but I haven't done much reading lately.  I can't really choose an absolute favorite, but there are a handful that rise above the rest:

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
1984 by George Orwell
The Blue Hotel by Stephen Crane
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
Airframe by Michael Crichton

...I guess The Blue Hotel isn't really a book, since it's more of a short story, but I had to put some Stephen Crane on there because he's my favorite author. Cheesy

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 05:47:59 AM »

I used to be the most avid reader I knew in school but since having a family I've taken almost no time for reading aside from academia.

I love the "Earth's Children" series by Jean M. Auel though, they're timlessly wonderful and educational as well. (You know, "Clan of the Cave Bear" and so on).

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 06:14:15 AM »

I used to be the most avid reader I knew in school but since having a family I've taken almost no time for reading aside from academia.

I love the "Earth's Children" series by Jean M. Auel though, they're timlessly wonderful and educational as well. (You know, "Clan of the Cave Bear" and so on).

truly an awesome series! I read the first 3 books. I'm planning on hitting the missing two soon, but I guess I have to re-read the other ones.. I read them like 7 or 8 years ago.

I came to think of another super great book: ken follet's "pillars of the earth" 
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 07:13:42 AM »

"The Children of Húrin" by J.R.R. Tolkien was pretty good, although it is the most emo book I've ever read.

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »

Cien años de soledad (one hundred years of solitude) from Gabriel García Marquez

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »

I'm actually in the process of reading the Dark Tower right now... just starting book 2.

Anyway, I know its totally cliche, but my all-time favorite books are the Lord of the Rings series.  They're just so freakin' fantastic.

Well, its only cliche to have LOTR as your favorite series since the movies. Before then, most people had never even heard of Lord of the Rings. But don't worry, I love them too, so I'll take on any "cliche abuse" that you must suffer through 

But not bad books for something that were originally written as a writing excercise for his students 
dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 07:34:24 PM »

Yeah, I didn't even know that either LotR or Harry Potter were books before the movies.

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »

Yeah, I didn't even know that either LotR or Harry Potter were books before the movies.

I'd express my shock and awe at your ignorance, but because of my opinions of the books, I'm just gonna point out that the movies give you all the good stuff those series have to offer, so it's really not that bad that you didn't know about them beforehand.

[/run-on sentence]

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 06:13:43 AM »

I'd express my shock and awe at your ignorance, but because of my opinions of the books, I'm just gonna point out that the movies give you all the good stuff those series have to offer, so it's really not that bad that you didn't know about them beforehand.

[/run-on sentence]

Yeah, I won't get into a rant about movies in a book thread, but the movies (in both those cases) really didn't contain anywhere near the material the books did, so I'd say it's a little generalized to say that the movies contained all the stuff the books had to offer. We are both entitled to our opinions though I suppose. But I will agree with you that the movies can be just as entertaining, since I think both of those productions were done very well. 
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 07:47:21 AM »

I just think Rowling and Tolkien are boring writers.  At least Rowling's stuff is plot-driven and keeps me interested, but the writing itself is kind of bland.  Tolkien, on the other hand, is a good writer, but he goes off on these long descriptions of things that don't seem to matter, and he loses my interest quickly.

I'll admit that sometimes I state this opinion just to annoy people who are fans of either writer, but I really do think they're both overrated.

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 09:05:49 AM »

[/run-on sentence]
Then I guess I'm good!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:09:53 AM by dimitrius » Logged

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 11:29:33 AM »

I love both tolkien and rowling; I read the lotr series over summer a couple of weeks before the 1st movie came out.. reading is pobably the wrong word.. I ate those books 
I was reluctant to read harry potter without the last book being out, cause it totally annoyed me with the dark tower series to wait for the books to actually come out. but now, I started with the first part last november and now i'm halfway through the last one...

The detailed surrounding descriptions are actually what I like about books like those because they create awesomely epic pictures in my mind and I feel like really being in those places. Also I think it makes you feel more attached to the characters because the appear so real.

However I do understand that not everyone can be so very keen about thick, fat, lengthy books.. I guess you have to have to have a certain ambition for dwelling on tiny little details forever Wink

Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »

However I do understand that not everyone can be so very keen about thick, fat, lengthy books.. I guess you have to have to have a certain ambition for dwelling on tiny little details forever Wink

or to read really small print on huge pages, that requires a passion for reading (or boredom)

usually all i can handle is 800 pages, but i've read the entire LotR trilogy which was like 1100 pages (in the omnibus edition)

zerogravityfat
Forum Elder

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 03:58:25 PM »

i have several choices that i love:

the alchemist
little prince
childhood's end

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!