DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: What's your favourite book??  (Read 11447 times)
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 09:59:42 PM »

However I do understand that not everyone can be so very keen about thick, fat, lengthy books.. I guess you have to have to have a certain ambition for dwelling on tiny little details forever Wink

or to read really small print on huge pages, that requires a passion for reading (or boredom)

usually all i can handle is 800 pages, but i've read the entire LotR trilogy which was like 1100 pages (in the omnibus edition)

For me, it's all about how well it holds my attention.  I can read something indefinitely if it continues to be interesting to me. 

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »

However I do understand that not everyone can be so very keen about thick, fat, lengthy books.. I guess you have to have to have a certain ambition for dwelling on tiny little details forever Wink

or to read really small print on huge pages, that requires a passion for reading (or boredom)

usually all i can handle is 800 pages, but i've read the entire LotR trilogy which was like 1100 pages (in the omnibus edition)

For me, it's all about how well it holds my attention.  I can read something indefinitely if it continues to be interesting to me. 

but that's really hard to come by

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!!!
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »

I love both tolkien and rowling; I read the lotr series over summer a couple of weeks before the 1st movie came out.. reading is pobably the wrong word.. I ate those books 
I was reluctant to read harry potter without the last book being out, cause it totally annoyed me with the dark tower series to wait for the books to actually come out. but now, I started with the first part last november and now i'm halfway through the last one...

The detailed surrounding descriptions are actually what I like about books like those because they create awesomely epic pictures in my mind and I feel like really being in those places. Also I think it makes you feel more attached to the characters because the appear so real.

Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »

ERAGON!

dragons are so metal!

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »

ERAGON!

dragons are so metal!

what is it like?
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 01:20:34 PM »

ERAGON!

dragons are so metal!

what is it like?

basically some kid finds a dragon's egg, it hatches, then the kid's uncle is murdered, then he swears revenge and travels the land with an old storyteller who gives him training to be a legendary DRAGON RIDER!

but there's a whole lot more to the story than what i stated. the book has sequels too. It's the first book in a planned tetralogy.

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »

Although they're not normally my cup of tea, I recently picked up these old books off my shelf (that I got when I was about 12 or so) on the origins of the planet. They were originally published in the late 70's ('77 or '78 or so I think) and written by an author by the name of Zecharia Sitchin. I remember getting them after having this long conversation with my mom about how the pyrimids lined up with the consolations or something. The series is called "The Earth Chronicles", but I am currently on the first book, "The 12th Planet".

Like I said, these types of books arn't normally my cup of tea since I don't necessarily give credit to these types of books, but I believe (and Charlie's actions constantly remind me) that the more you take in, the more you are learned and the better you can sort through the bullshit that a lot of people chuck at you. So I guess the moral of the story is: it's better to be familiar with the knowledge and discard it, then be ignorant to the knowledge and be unable to extrapolate anything from it at all. I don't necessarily believe in these books, but this guy gives a pretty good argument regardless -- he did research for 30+ years before even writing them  Shocked . So it's pretty heavy research, and it's certainly non-fiction, but hey, it's actually quite interesting and good.

So my question to you guys, is: Have any of you read these books, or anything similar for that matter (on the theory that we were "helped" by "alien" beings?)? I'm particularily interested in Charlie's answer to that question if he happens to stop by this thread 
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »

I'm currently reading "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Checkmate"

The books are pretty good (although some other guy wrote them, it just has Clancy's name on it), but the games are even better. 

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 08:10:18 AM »

Sam Fisher is

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 12:55:35 PM »

dan brown's gonna release a new book this summer or fall, I don't recall the title and I'm too damn lazy to move my cursor!
dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »

The Solomon Key

You're welcome xoxoch.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: