DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: what was your fist job ever?  (Read 12381 times)
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« on: May 12, 2008, 12:12:12 PM »

The first time ever I worked as a facility manager at our general hospital. That's a fancy way of saying I worked as a cleaner and I had to wipe up patient's puke and similarly gross stuff. But actually the job was ok, since I was stationed at the intensive care unit and most of the patients were comatose anyway, so I had a pretty quiet time.

To be honest I was very uneasy about being confronted with death at the beginning and this job tought me a lot about handling unpleasant situations. I think it was a good choice.

Until I ended up as a research scientist I tried all kinds of stuff like being a waitress, working with turtle rescue, being an audioengineer, being an extra at the vienna state opera, or being a secretary. (most of the stuff simultaneously)
dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »

I was a warehouse worker at a music store.

Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

i'm gonna start my first job (hopefully) in a week or so.

general merch clerk at a supermarket (stocking shelves basically)

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!!!
dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »

That doesn't sound too bad, although supermarkets tend to sometimes overwork people.

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »

I have an uncle that owns a construction company that I started seriously working for when I was about 14 or so. I work in the summer for long loooong hours. It wasn't the most pleasent job sometimes, but it taught me how to do things properly, that there are no shortcuts in life, and to take pride in my work.

My favorite job was being in this big multi-million dollar movie (60 million I think), that has still yet to come out. I was basically an over-glorifed extra, but I had to be approved by the director since they put me in front of the camera a lot, and while I didn't have lines, I did have to do certain facial expressions and stuff when I had a close up, so it was kinda like visual acting I guess. I played a Viking warrior (which is actually what my heritage is too! Wahoo!) so I got to live in armour everyday for 3 months straight. There is nothing like having your hair ripped out in the morning by chainmail *cringe* that'll wake you up, let me assure you. So I have about a billion stories from that experience, and I don't really have any regrets about it since I still completed school during that time and stuff. The only "drawback" I guess was the fact that I worked up to 22 hour shifts sometimes, and usually 6 days a week; one week I clocked over 108 hours or so, which was brutal. It got to the point where you were on the verge of falling asleep standing up, and you started to go a little nutty; neither of which are good qualities to have when swords are swinging.

Anyway, that's about it for me, but I look forward to other people's responses. You guys don't seem to abhor your jobs, and I didn't either, but I always enjoy the "horror stories" that some people have! 
Nick
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »

Legal: Shortly after I turned 16 I worked at a full service gas station as an attendant. To this day it probably remains the job at which I had the best time at.

Illegal: Home Improvement in the family business starting when I was about 12 or 13.

ZeppelinDT
Resident Collectaholic
Global Moderator

Chaaaaaaaaaalieeee!

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »

If it counts as a "job"... I used to regularly go with my dad to comic books shows where he sold comics and I'd help work the table.

My first "real" job was an office supplies/floor/stock/cashier/furniture/everything else person at Staples... did that for 4 years throughout undergrad.  Then did 2 internships in law school, and now I work as a lawyer.

One a scale from one to awesome, I'm super-great!
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »

I have an uncle that owns a construction company that I started seriously working for when I was about 14 or so. I work in the summer for long loooong hours. It wasn't the most pleasent job sometimes, but it taught me how to do things properly, that there are no shortcuts in life, and to take pride in my work.

My favorite job was being in this big multi-million dollar movie (60 million I think), that has still yet to come out. I was basically an over-glorifed extra, but I had to be approved by the director since they put me in front of the camera a lot, and while I didn't have lines, I did have to do certain facial expressions and stuff when I had a close up, so it was kinda like visual acting I guess. I played a Viking warrior (which is actually what my heritage is too! Wahoo!) so I got to live in armour everyday for 3 months straight. There is nothing like having your hair ripped out in the morning by chainmail *cringe* that'll wake you up, let me assure you. So I have about a billion stories from that experience, and I don't really have any regrets about it since I still completed school during that time and stuff. The only "drawback" I guess was the fact that I worked up to 22 hour shifts sometimes, and usually 6 days a week; one week I clocked over 108 hours or so, which was brutal. It got to the point where you were on the verge of falling asleep standing up, and you started to go a little nutty; neither of which are good qualities to have when swords are swinging.

Anyway, that's about it for me, but I look forward to other people's responses. You guys don't seem to abhor your jobs, and I didn't either, but I always enjoy the "horror stories" that some people have! 

*remembers post your pic thread v.1* ADORABLE  Wink
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »

That doesn't sound too bad, although supermarkets tend to sometimes overwork people.

that's nothing new for me, i always feel overworked

dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »

that's nothing new for me, i always feel overworked
Ah then you'll be right in your element.

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:11:21 PM »

I'm still at my first job.  I work at Wendy's.  I was there for my junior and senior years of high school, and every summer when I come back from college, they give me my job back.  I love it there (most of the time).

That reminds me, I found your pants in the fridge this morning.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Cecilia
upcoming postwhore
Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:53:56 AM »

summer camp!

BlobVanDam
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 01:02:01 AM »

Not sure if anything I've done counts as having a real job, but my first paid work was making the videos for DT's current tour along with work on the Constant Motion music video
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »

Not sure if anything I've done counts as having a real job, but my first paid work was making the videos for DT's current tour along with work on the Constant Motion music video

actually you might have the best job of all of us 
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »

actually you might have the best job of all of us 

Pfft, working for DT is no big deal.  Roll Eyes

Kidding! I've always been relatively mystified that you can actually "meet" someone who does work for DT, or for any major band really. Of course Blob is the first (and I suppose only) person I've met with a position like that. I'm sure he'd say it's not that big of a deal, but I think it's pretty really cool.

How did you ever get into working with them anyway?
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »

Rumor has it he sold his soul to the devil.

I have no idea what just happened, but I can only assume that I was an indispensable contributor.
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »

I thought it was only blues musicians that did that?
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »

Well, mostly blues musicians.  But the Winchesters have been known to do it every now and again, too.

*prays that you get the reference*

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 02:00:12 PM »

Well, mostly blues musicians.  But the Winchesters have been known to do it every now and again, too.

*prays that you get the reference*

I THINK so, but no guarentees. I don't really watch it, I've seen it maybe once or twice, but the show Supernatural has those Winchester brothers, who hunt demons or whatever. That must be it, or the show uses that aspect as an allusion to what you are referring too. It's too much to be coincidence 

Perhaps I am correct?
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 06:57:55 PM »

i'm gonna start my first job (hopefully) in a week or so.

general merch clerk at a supermarket (stocking shelves basically)

forget the supermarket, there were too many applicants (340-ish)

so now i'm working in the warehouse of a feed and grain shop.

Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 08:26:24 PM »

I THINK so, but no guarentees. I don't really watch it, I've seen it maybe once or twice, but the show Supernatural has those Winchester brothers, who hunt demons or whatever. That must be it, or the show uses that aspect as an allusion to what you are referring too. It's too much to be coincidence 

Perhaps I am correct?

Yeah, you got it.  I sometimes get a little overzealous in my fanboyism when it comes to that show.  I love Supernatural.  You'll have to excuse me.   Tongue 

I'm also a little impressed that you recognize character names from shows that you don't watch.   

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 01:34:59 PM »

Perhaps I am correct?

Yeah, you got it.  I sometimes get a little overzealous in my fanboyism when it comes to that show.  I love Supernatural.  You'll have to excuse me.   Tongue 

I'm also a little impressed that you recognize character names from shows that you don't watch.   

Haha, yeah, I'm just a mental sponge for some reason. Even the most obscure details I remember with a lot of clarity. It does take me a little while to sort through all that junk in my head though, so when you ask me my birthday it takes a second for me to translate the memory to speech 
Phantasmatron
Forum Elder

What the Jenkins?!

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 09:40:46 PM »

It does take me a little while to sort through all that junk in my head though, so when you ask me my birthday it takes a second for me to translate the memory to speech 

I am quite familiar with that problem!  Only, I tend to have more trouble when people ask me my age. 

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »

It does take me a little while to sort through all that junk in my head though, so when you ask me my birthday it takes a second for me to translate the memory to speech 

I am quite familiar with that problem!  Only, I tend to have more trouble when people ask me my age. 

what yould charlie say ?? 
dimitrius
Lord of Dominoes
Forum Member

Silence! I kill you!

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »

Dream Theater - Raise the Knife

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: