DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: "It's getting hot in here, so take off. . ."  (Read 2818 times)
Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« on: June 17, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

. . .take off, drive away, and never come back?  Huh?

I just got home Monday after being away from my home since Friday morning. There was a MASSIVE forrest fire, spanning 22 kms (long) by 5-7 kms (deep). That's A LOT of burnt stuff. Anyway, the order came, and I was told to leave my home (with no definitive answer as to how long), so I stayed in at my mom's office for the days I was away from home. There was a 5000 person evacuation, which is very substantial considering the sparsely populated area I live in. It encompassed over 4 communities.

To make a long story short, it was a very hectic time. Water bombers from all over Canada had to be called in just to try to direct the fire, which is still quite out of control. Last night I could still see flames in the darkness not too far away -- scary stuff. As you can inferr from my last sentence, I'm back home now, and my house is okay, but there was a loss of a few homes down in the community about 5 minutes from here, which suffered a lot of damage.

Anyway, I don't need to be a news report, but that is why I was absent from the forums for the past few days. Mind you, I'm okay and everything survived, and I get some extra privledges regarding exams (seeing as I wrote the very day after I got home, a.k.a today!), so not all was hopelessly pointless. So yeah, just figured I'd fill you guys in.

Just to be curious, has anyone else ever been evacuated in a serious disaster of any sort? And if so, what was it that caused caused the evacuation?
Captain Flapjackass
I am God
Forum Elder

I'm freakin' cold!

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:51:59 PM »

Here in Connecticut a few years ago, someone accidently set off an evacuation alarm during a weekly system check. When we found out it was a mistake, a few hundred people had already left the state (excluding me and my family), and my school nearly went into lockdown.

Then there was this one time when I was in fifth grade when my school was actually evacuated when people started getting this rash. By the time they got to the hospital, it was gone. It was later revealed that some careless cleaners discovered a black mold/mildew thing in the ventilation system, and LEFT IT ALONE! So this rash epidemic was caused by a mold being carried through the vents. :facepalm Thankfully, I never got it. My immune system kicks ass.
This is only one of many RETARDED episodes my middle school would go through. Not the first, most certainly not the last. If anyone wants any more stories from SMS, please ask me. I could write a friggin' book about all these experiences.

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!!!
xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:01 AM »

woah, matt thant sounds fuckin awful!!!! I'm glad you and your family are safe!!

have the fires been extinguished yet? I can't even imagine this to happen since it has been kinda chilly for the past 3 weeks or so.

austria is more of a water country, so my car almost swam away twice because of a flooding danube river but that's about it  Grin

Matt Gillis
Forum Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »

woah, matt thant sounds fuckin awful!!!! I'm glad you and your family are safe!!

have the fires been extinguished yet? I can't even imagine this to happen since it has been kinda chilly for the past 3 weeks or so.

austria is more of a water country, so my car almost swam away twice because of a flooding danube river but that's about it  Grin

I think they are out by now, but I think it more or less burned itself out rather than extinguished by firefighters.

Here in Nova Scotia we hardly get fires either -- that is more of something that happens all the time in Western Canada. But I guess it just goes to show that you can be surrounded by ocean, and yet, if the day is dry enough, and all the other conditions are right, you can have one massive fire.

But everytime I looked out my window and saw that gloomy, fire choked atmosphere, I would think of the album art off of part 3   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: