DOMINICI.COM
News:
Home FORUM Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register *
Welcome to the Official DOMINICI Website and Forums!
Linked Events
  • Progressive Nation NYC Meetup!: May 21, 2008 - May 22, 2008
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Add bookmark | Print
Author Topic: Prognation NYC meetup - Wed and Thurs - May 21 & 22  (Read 68195 times)
VFS
The Webmistress otherwise known as JustJen
Administrator

Do you think it was an inside job?

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »

How far from Terminal 5?

hmmm, i think terminal 5 is 56th, this place is on 52nd i believe, same avenue intersects so close walk.

Just looking at google maps now and gathering directions.

Looks like we have:

Terminal 5‎ -
610 W. 56th, New York, NY
(212) 260-4700‎

and

Iguana
240 W 54th St, New York, NY
(212) 265-3629

‎So I plugged those into google maps and got this nifty little map:

Then I searched for hotels in the same area (I figure that map area is all walking distance from one point to another, right?) and came up with this, which shows there's a handful of choices:

But knowing me, I"m fairly cheap, prefer a brand name when I don't have a specific recommendation, and want something SAFE and I would hope that a Holiday Inn is, so I checked the holiday inn site and found availabilities, with prices like so:

So, they DO have availabilities, and I guess $260 per night is just what it costs in NYC for two doubles. Anyone from that area - is that hotel safe? A good location for this whole meetup/double show thing? Anyone else coming into town getting a hotel want to stay in the same one?

Join the DOMINICI Groups at: last.fm - Facebook - StudivVZ.net (German)
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »

Another question for people in the area - what airport would I fly into that would be closest to that spot? I can get into newark for $185 roundtrip which would cost about the same as driving with gas, tolls, and parking figured for a 7 hour roundtrip drive, so I might just fly. But into where?

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »

I'll stay at the Manhattan Hostel (www.bigapplehostel.com); the reviews are good, it's about 40$ per night and it's just 3 or 4 blocks off the venue; and I don't mind staying in a dorm  Wink. I'm flying into JFK, which is convenient cause there's a shuttle service for only a couple of bucks to prot authority which is also right there.
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 01:34:32 PM »

Oohh good to know!!

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »

Oohh good to know!!

always a pleasure  Smiley
wkiml
smokin weed, drinkin beer
Forum Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 01:47:09 PM »

I'll stay at the Manhattan Hostel (www.bigapplehostel.com); the reviews are good, it's about 40$ per night and it's just 3 or 4 blocks off the venue; and I don't mind staying in a dorm  Wink. I'm flying into JFK, which is convenient cause there's a shuttle service for only a couple of bucks to prot authority which is also right there.

Shuttle is from JFK to the subways in Queens , where you would than have to take the A or E train into Manhattan

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »

Shuttle is from JFK to the subways in Queens , where you would than have to take the A or E train into Manhattan

you're right; I forgot 
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »

Yeah, I'm already lost.

zerogravityfat
Forum Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 03:25:35 PM »

The closest airport is Laguardia, but you may find that Newark is the most convenient, there is a new jersey transit that takes you from the airport to the penn station new york in 10 mins or so (penn at 34th and 6th avenue)

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 03:27:32 PM »

Another question for people in the area - what airport would I fly into that would be closest to that spot? I can get into newark for $185 roundtrip which would cost about the same as driving with gas, tolls, and parking figured for a 7 hour roundtrip drive, so I might just fly. But into where?
Try to fly in to JFK. Newark is a pain. JFK has the new "Airtrain" shuttle train that takes you right Jamaica station for $5 plus the subway token.That  also connects with the Long Island Railroad at Jamaica station. That train is a quick 2 stops(20 minutes) into Penn station which is 34th st and 7th ave(Midtown Manhattan)or you can skip the LIRR and go the cheaper option from Jamaica Station because it connects to all the main subway connections into Manhattan . I have not ridden the Subways in a few years but it's always cheap.One subway token is maybe $2 and change by now but you can connect as many times as you need to with the one token till you get where you want to go. If I were you I would take Amtrak all the way from upstate NY right into Penn Station,if they run from where you are. I think I remember you saying you live upstate somewhere.
I hope that helps.

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 05:11:38 PM »

Try to fly in to JFK. Newark is a pain. JFK has the new "Airtrain" shuttle train that takes you right Jamaica station for $5 plus the subway token.That  also connects with the Long Island Railroad at Jamaica station. That train is a quick 2 stops(20 minutes) into Penn station which is 34th st and 7th ave(Midtown Manhattan)or you can skip the LIRR and go the cheaper option from Jamaica Station because it connects to all the main subway connections into Manhattan . I have not ridden the Subways in a few years but it's always cheap.One subway token is maybe $2 and change by now but you can connect as many times as you need to with the one token till you get where you want to go. If I were you I would take Amtrak all the way from upstate NY right into Penn Station,if they run from where you are. I think I remember you saying you live upstate somewhere.
I hope that helps.

Super-helpful, thanks! But there's no train anywhere near me. Sad

Cecilia
upcoming postwhore
Forum Member

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »

Yeah, we don't do tokens anymore. Now it's Metrocards!
Newark is too far away!

And I live inbetween LGA and JFK lol.

zerogravityfat
Forum Elder

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »

newark is closer than jfk.

xoxoch
Forum Elder

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 04:10:52 AM »

I'm lazy... I'm gonna do this:  Grin

New York Airport Service Express Bus: Available from 6:30 a.m. - 11:10 p.m., these shuttles leave every 15-30 minutes. Fare is $13 ($15 if you want to be dropped off at your midtown hotel), but you can save by buying roundtrip tickets online, as they are $22 (you can also buy discounted one way tickets online). One free child under 12 is included in the fare. You can choose to disembark at Grand Central, Port Authority or Penn Station, in addition to hotels between 31st Street and 60th Street. The ride takes about an hour. Return schedules and more information are available on their website.
zerogravityfat
Forum Elder

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 05:46:43 AM »

that's the one i usually use to get to jfk, it's pretty convenient since i live very close to port authority.

charliedominici
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 06:48:59 AM »

How far from Terminal 5?

hmmm, i think terminal 5 is 56th, this place is on 52nd i believe, same avenue intersects so close walk.

Just looking at google maps now and gathering directions.

Looks like we have:

Terminal 5‎ -
610 W. 56th, New York, NY
(212) 260-4700‎

and

Iguana
240 W 54th St, New York, NY
(212) 265-3629

‎So I plugged those into google maps and got this nifty little map:

...HOME!!...CD want  to go home!!!!   

"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"....
..................."The Moody Blues"
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 07:18:06 AM »

Here, you're gonna need these:

*looks closer*

Men! Wink Tongue

BlobVanDam
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »

CD PHONE HOME

IT CALLS FOR THEE
IT CALLS FOR THEE
wkiml
Forum Elder

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »

The closest airport is Laguardia, but you may find that Newark is the most convenient, there is a new jersey transit that takes you from the airport to the penn station new york in 10 mins or so (penn at 34th and 6th avenue)

I take this train daily as part of my commute its closer to 30 minutes from Newark airport to Penn Station NY ,just make sure its a local train as all trains on that line do not stop at the airport
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 01:33:11 PM by wkiml » Logged
Nick
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 03:25:33 PM »

Well for anyone who cares, here are my travel plans.

On Wednesday I'll be meeting Axeman in Bloomfield, NJ. From there we shall be taking the bus into Grand Central. From there I can only assume we'll subway to the meetup and the show. After the show I'll be returning via railroad to long island with ZeppelinDT. Coming back into the city on Thursday via railroad and then after that show I'm taking subway and bus back out to my car in New Jersey.

My entire plan hinges on the hope that Terminal 5 won't mind me having a backpack with me just for clothes and other minor things.

wkiml
Forum Elder

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2008, 09:25:30 AM »

On Wednesday I'll be meeting Axeman in Bloomfield, NJ. From there we shall be taking the bus into Grand Central. From there I can only assume we'll subway to the meetup and the show. After the show I'll be returning via railroad to long island with ZeppelinDT. Coming back into the city on Thursday via railroad and then after that show I'm taking subway and bus back out to my car in New Jersey.

My entire plan hinges on the hope that Terminal 5 won't mind me having a backpack with me just for clothes and other minor things.

They will probably make you check it in at the coat check but you should be allowed
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2008, 06:31:17 AM »

TWO MONTHS FROM TODAY I WILL BE LOADING THE VEHICLE UP FOR ROADTRIP TO NYC!!

Nick
Global Moderator

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2008, 07:58:41 AM »

They will probably make you check it in at the coat check but you should be allowed

Awesome, so you've been there before and they have an actual place to check  things like that? I'm assuming it is a few bucks, but knowing that I can at least take a huge back pack if I wish so I don't have to travel with the bare minimum.

wkiml
Forum Elder

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »

Awesome, so you've been there before and they have an actual place to check  things like that? I'm assuming it is a few bucks, but knowing that I can at least take a huge back pack if I wish so I don't have to travel with the bare minimum.

Been there once before and was able to check my coat and breifcase ( I went straight from work)  I don't think they would mind a normal backpack, just don't bring one too large ( like the ones they use for hiking and camping)

you can always give them a call at 212–260–4700 between noon and 7pn EST
VFS
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2008, 11:42:58 AM »

ok i require a hotel safe clean and in walking distance. i think i need to refer to my map earlier in the thread.

also, if i fly in which is likely, i'm landing at jfk - it's just cheapest by a lot, can't help it. hopefully that's not gonna be a bitch for transportation... i tend to prefer taxis.... but not spending too much money

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Add bookmark | Print
Jump to: